Mark Bixler passed away

Just received this from Kistler:

With great sadness, I am writing to tell you that Mark Bixler passed away on November 16th after a brief illness.

Mark was a founding partner at Kistler Vineyards and was instrumental to its growth and success over the years. In the early days, Mark wore many hats. Having studied chemistry at MIT and UC Berkeley, Mark naturally assumed all wine analyses responsibilities at Kistler Vineyards. But his contributions went far beyond the scope of laboratory work. Mark held many essential roles, which he infused with his love for the world of wine and those in it.

Mark personally attended to all of Kistler Vineyard’s sales and marketing, both foreign and domestic, for over 20 years. Furthermore, he helped to develop our first mailing list program that was years ahead of its time.

From the very beginning, our talents complemented one another well. While Mark managed many of the business affairs of Kistler, I was able to concentrate on the vineyards and winemaking. Over the years, Mark became incredibly close with our vineyard and cellar teams, all of whom consider him as family.

Mark would often say that one of the most rewarding aspects of his career at Kistler were the personal relationships he developed with many of the mailing list members who shared his passion for fine wine.

All of us will miss him greatly.

Steve Kistler and the entire Kistler Team

Rest In Peace, Mark. Had many dealings with him over the years. Always a professional.

Very sad. I never knew Mark personally, but remember his name from my days on the Kistler list. Thanks Mark for your part in some great wines over the years. RIP.

I had the pleasure to meet and speak with him a few times. He was always nice, kind and sharing. RIP

I never got to meet him, but I always knew he was integral to the success of Kistler. I exchanged emails with him this fall because I was buying a bunch of used Chardonnay barrels from Kistler. The 3 and 4 year old barrels were in pristine shape. I wish I had gone there in person to pick up the barrels so that I could have met him.

Met him 25 years ago.
Been a Kistler fan before and after I met him.
He got me on the mailing list.
RIP Mark!

He lost his house in the fire too. Just drove by it today. Condolences to his family and all who admired him. November has not been kind to the wine world.

I worked with Mark on bottles and barrels for 37 years. He had so many interests. Bollywood, Indian food, German wine, hi-fi, computers. He spoke Burmese! I will really miss him.

Mark was such a lovely human being. I had known him for the last twelve years as Turley has bought a good chunk of their used white barrels for about that time. Mark also taught chemistry at Fresno state, and Darrell Corti would come down and do tastings for the Enology department, which mark was a part of. Mark on his own time would run the chemistry on legendary wines from the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. I was lucky enough for him to share his data with me, something I have always treasured. I will really miss my yearly catch ups with Mark. More than ever the world and the wine industry needs more people like Mark Bixler. A true gentleman, scholar and fantastic human being. Such a loss.