I started collecting when I was... now I'm...

Always wondered about the variety of ages and circumstances that inspire us to collect.

Personally, I started collecting in 2007 when I was around 30 (holy shit it’s been 10 years).
Sea Smoke was my epiphany wine.

~2k bottles in the collection.
Buying has shifted to quality over quantity.
I wish I got into Burgundy earlier because now it seems like one has to be a zillionaire to buy even some of the village wines.
I’m only on about 5 “lists”.

Started nearly exactly 11 years ago when I was 26. Now 37. Bottle count currently at an interesting 999. Like you, I’ve recently tried to place a greater emphasis on quality over quantity; I’ve had middling success with that so far.

Got the bug in 1978 when I was 22 but didn’t have long-term storage.
Started collecting seriously in 1985 at age 29 when I had a place to store and age them properly.
Now I’m… you can do the math… too old to buy young wines that need long-term aging.
(But I do have a couple cases of 2016 Bordeaux futures on order. My last. I promise.)

I began to take wine somewhat seriously in college but didn’t start my collection until I was a 3L in law school, at the age of 25. I bought my first small wine fridge while a first-year associate. That was approx. 10 years ago. Now I have approx. 600 bottles. Unlike many, I was focused on Burgs and old-world traditionalists from the start.

2006-22 a month or so before I turned 23
2017 turned 34 today.

I started drinking jug wine in college and got serious after when my best man at our wedding whose mother was in hospitality suggested we get a better quality for our reception. That was over 50 years ago. I bought to drink until about ten years ago when I discovered CT and WB. I’m on the end of the journey and try not to collect anymore, but still buy more than I need though it is all drinkable within a reasonable time.
I keep telling my kids to drink up, but they do not want to upset dad and buy their own now as does my wife. It’s hard to win anymore. [snort.gif]

Started at 16 collecting bordeaux and rhone. Moved away from these 2 regions 10 years ago and got caught up in the burg mysteries.
33y old today with cellar of over 1200 burgs

Happy Birthday!! champagne.gif

#1 C Fu [cheers.gif]

I started tinkering in college in the 80s, but really buying in the late 90s.
I turn 56 in early Dec.

Just like me! (but I’m a little older [cheers.gif] )

I think the nicer word is, “tenured.” [wink.gif]

32, 44
4000 bottles and scratching my head…

14 years ago when I started ‘serious’ wine collecting. The journey began 20 years ago, when I was 44. I went from 6 bottles, none over $25, to 36 bottles ranging in price from $15 - $40. What a rookie. I found the parker boards, then Wine Berserkers. These days, I’m buying much less (wife retired). I have my fair share of Bedrock, Carlisle, EMH, Maybach, Myriad, Quivet, Paumanok, Sojourn. and schrader. I’m not complaining.

One last thing; and I should post in Todd’s thread, my cellar is down to 196 bottles from 250 last year. I’m trying to be a good boy.

CT shows I started in 2005 with a 1991 Beringer Reserve Cab at the age of 41, now 53, with 1600 bottles, primarily focused on quality. Love the cellar mix with the one exception of Cali Pinot, which I have grown to hate and still have 100+ bottles.

Starting: I’d guess that I actually started “collecting” wine when I was 28 or 29…it was right after I got out of the Army and I was settling into my life, going to college.
Pricing Epiphany: My first epiphany was that wine was worth more than $25/bottle. That was a $33 bottle of 2002 Joseph Phelps (leading to my decision to “collect” a couple bottles of Insignia.
Wine Epiphany: Was either the 1995 Musar or the 1976 d’Yquem…both in the summer of 2007.
Collecting: I think my first real “collector’s wine” was a 6 pack of 2002 Joseph Phelps Insignia after I saw the wine on the cover of a Wine Spectator. At $85/bottle I was happy with my first call. My second choice was a 2003 Leoville Barton not long after.
Now: Now, I like to try to keep my collection around 500 bottles (it’s at 650-ish). I feel very fortunate to have gotten into Burgundy “just in time” around 2002 and feel that I did the same with Piedmont & Champagne. Prices are higher…but I feel like I made the shift from quantity to quality relatively early on…and that’s the most important shift for me. Looking at my cellar I might have 2-3 cases of wines I’m “meh” about…and at this stage in the game that feels like a pretty good balance.

Danced around collecting in the late 90’s when I was mid 30’s. Got serious in my mid 40’s. Now mid 50’s.

Started collecting seriously around 30, now 59.

I also started focusing on quality over quantity about 15 years ago. My issue now is that it seems every time I go down into my cellar to grab a bottle, unless it’s a special occasion, I look and say to myself “it’s Tuesday night, you can’t open that bottle”…I guess I just need to throw caution to the wind and start popping some of those gems more often!

I started out on Burgundy, but soon hit the harder stuff…

I began this crazy journey in 1992 at age 25. I’m almost 51 now, and have…to…stop…buying. The cellar is at 4200, and I want it back to under 3K. That means a general hiatus of 5-6 years. That hiatus may not start immediately, but there will be a hard stop at 55.

I suppose my answers are 25 and 66. I still have a 1973 Mouton that I bought that first year.