Best Value Wine(s) of 2017

While most can peg their top wines of the year, I’m curious what your top value wines have been? What is “value?” I’m using $30 as a cap. Ideally, $25 and under, but personally, I expect the “over $30” wines to start delivering in ways that separate them from the “under-$30” crowd. Foreign and domestic are are game. White or red is fine. Ideally, I’m seeking wines that are relatively easy to source as well.

Personally, in the value category I have enjoyed the Kevin White Red (Syrah/Grenache/Mourvedre). At $18 it delivers a pleasurable experience. In the summer I also enjoyed the Domaine des Lauribert rose at $10. I look forward to hearing about your discoveries! [cheers.gif]

Lafage Bastide Miraflores

2016 Enfield Wine Co. ‘Antle Vineyard’ Rosé of Pinot Noir

So many threads like this.

I could go on, but if we must…

Antinori Toscana $15
Bedrock Old Vine Zin $19
Bedrock North Coast $20
Jaffurs Santa Barbara County Syrah $23
Tercero Mourvèdre Rose’ $24
Jaffurs Grenache $30

Thanks for those links. I was just looking for a fresh, 2017 version, but those are all good!

See my edit.

Oh come on, Michael, only one of your links were from 2017, and it dealt only with Italian wines.

I love threads like this as, with daily wine consumption, finding wines of value is important.

For 2017, some of my best values have been (all at $30 and under):

2014 Baudry Clos Guillot
2014 Baudry Les Granges
2014 Chave Mon Couer
2015 Ridge Geyserville
2015 Clape Vin de Amis
2015 Prum Kabinetts
2014 and 2014 Chateau Thivin
2015 Metras Beaujolais
2015 Domaine Chanrion

I have had many of all of these. All excellent “house” wines, and all can, and some will, show even better with some time in the bottle.

Are you saying value wine goes bad with age? [snort.gif] ok, I get it and so do you.

Charles Van Canneyt Bourgogne Blanc
Dublere Bourgogne Blanc and Bourgogne Rouge
Zilliken Rausch Kabinett
Juillot Bourgogne Rouge
Moirots Bourgogne Rouge
Roederer Estate Rose
Ridge Three Valleys Zin
Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne Rouge

2015 Von Schubert Maximin Grunhauser Abtsberg Spatlese $29
2010 Huet Petillant $26

The same answer as every year: Assyrtiko from Hatzidakis (RIP), Sigalas, Argyros, Gaia, and a few others on Santorini. World class wines that are underknown, undervalued, and underappreciated.

Using $30 as a cap, a few usual suspects:
2015 Bedrock Syrah North Coast
2015 Rivers-Marie PN Sonoma Coast
2012 Jaffurs Syrah SBC
2015 Turley Juvenile
2014 K Vintners Syrah Milbrandt
2012 Produttori del Barbaresco
Super value = 2013 Head High Red, $12 at LastBottle

Safeway is currently discontinuing 2014 Gundlach-Bundschu Merlot at $22.49/bottle. Really like this wine.

Grabbed a bunch of Sigalas from Costco a few months back for $20. Killer deal

Goodfellow Durant Chardonnay

I have been happy to discover the wines from Onward by Ms Faith Armstrong Foster. The Farmstrong line of red and white wines is very solid for the price. The red is a blend of Carignan and Syrah; the white is composed of Grenache Blanc, Albariño, and Verdelho; the rose is Carignan and Zinfandel.

http://onwardwines.com/farmstrong/

I recently purchased a couple of wines from Mr Ryan Stirm. STiRM Wine Company focuses on single vineyard whites (Riesling, Grüner Veltliner) and the occasional red or rosé (field blends, Pinot Noir). I have yet to pop my “Enz Vineyard” Rosé, “Kick-On Ranch” Riesling, or the “Wirz Vineyard” Riesling. The prices are very reasonable, and the winery has taken on the farming of some very precious old-vine sites.

Even though I bought the wines in 2016, The Princess & The Peasant “Poor Ranch” Carignan rocked my early-2017!! The finesse and sense of uniqueness of the wine left a strong impression on me.

http://princessandthepeasant.com

If my intuition is rewarded, I expect the red wine (Carignan from an old vineyard in Contra Costa County) from Uphold to be a stunner. Firstly, it’s $15/bottle for crying out loud. Secondly, the fruit source and base variety may change from vintage to vintage, but the red, white, and rosé wines are crafted by the Glaab family of Ryme Cellars. If that doesn’t pique your interest, 100% of the profits go to charity! :slight_smile:

https://www.upholdwines.com

2009 Lanessan

Regurgitating an offline conversation with Kyle:

I’m starting to come back around to Bedrock for this. I stopped buying a couple years ago as the wine was released young, shipping cost was high and every year a lot of the vineyards changed. Plus, that’s a lot of Zin for someone who really doesn’t drink much of that varietal. However, they make a decent wine, no matter the vineyard, varietal or year… I’m just starting to drink my '12 and '13s.

As a Syrah/Cab drinker, it’s harder (but probably not impossible as the next person will say) to find really good values at that price point. We have to look outside our favorite varietals…

In that price range I pretty much just drink Cru Beaujolais anymore. Some Loire stuff as well from Puzelat and Merieau. As well as names Alfert mentioned above.
Also, occasionally Donnhoff, AJ Adam, & Markus Molitor.

I went so deep on this wine! The 2010 is solid, too, and more of an ager. I just grabbed some maggies at Total Wine for $40 ($50 but with 20% coupon). Perhaps that is my best QPR of 2017.

I neglected to mention the Bedrock OV Zin. Stoopid good, in any vintage.