TN: 2017 Grosset Riesling Polish Hill Clare Valley

• 2017 Grosset Riesling Polish Hill Clare Valley - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Clare Valley (11/19/2017)
    Loaded with talc, Tahitian lime and citrus blossom. So dense, sharp, linear and detailed. It has an almost rainwater-like purity and outstanding length. Brilliant, world-class Riesling.

Posted from CellarTracker

Man, I loved this wine when it was available in Seattle but I haven’t seen it in over 10 years.

Thanks for the note on the '17, Jeremy; I just received a few bottles of the 2013, from EFW out in California. As Adam notes, it’s become harder to find in many areas.

Thanks for the notes. I have a couple bottles rolling around in my locker, but I haven’t tried one yet. I thought the consensus was that these improve with age?

That’s the consensus I’m a part of.

I drank the 06 in 2013. The consensus at the table was it was the perfect time.

Any one had the 2016?

You are a glutton for punishment, drinking it that young! I remember 3 bottles of 2002 that I had at 3 events, each 4 years apart. The version 8 years from the first tasting hadn’t budged an inch.

I love this bottling of Grosset, also unhappily haven’t seen it up here in a couple years now.

From July 2016 and May 2015, two notes on the 2010 version:

"2010 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling

Even after 1.5 days, this is still reticent in the nuzzie, but with some coaxing, apple and a bit of petrol show. This continues to have real spine with rigourous lime and some lemoncello. A great crystal-type feel, this truly is Aussie Riesling at its best and probably will sit still for 20 years."

"2010 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling

I was happy to offer this for the group to try. I love how consistent Jeff Grosset makes this from year to year. Lemon and very tart golden raspberry nose, along with some slate/mineral perhaps. Le gout is as wonderfully stern as usual, laser-focused lemon and lime, again some minerality and so crystal clean. Admittedly, a little hard to pair with food, but I still like this stuff an awful lot."

Rule of thumb for Aussie Riesling is drink on release or at 4 yrs or later. They go into a shell at age 2 to 4. Of course the Grosset Rieslings drink well at various stages of maturity for a long time.

cool. Never had one.