If you have to save one Bordeaux from your cellar...

The aftermath of Maria has made us more conscious of the little pleasures in life and more grateful for moments shared with friends and family. Yesterday our wine group met for a tasting based on the theme of which Bordeaux would you save from your cellar if you only had time to pull one bottle. Included are the wines and brief tasting impressions.

1978 Cheval Blanc- Really elegant and complete wine. Classic mature Bordeaux aromatics and a velvety balanced texture. Nearly perfect Bordeaux.

1978 Haut Brion - Sweet fruit on the attack, ample body, and a tobacco dominated finish made this wine a pleasure to drink. Really pretty wine at a great stage of development.

1978 Mission Haut Brion - Monolithic and incredibly still closed. A little bit of fruit came out from around the wall of tannins after some coaxing but this was one grumpy bottle of Bordeaux.

1982 Cheval Blanc - Whoa, what a gorgeous glass of wine. It had lots of everything and gas on the tank for future development. Another near perfect Bordeaux.

1982 Pichon Lalande - The perfect Bordeaux. Enough said.

1982 Mission Haut Brion - Corked.

1982 Mouton Rothschild - One click below the 82 Lalande. While the Pichon was all about hedonistic pleasure the Mouton was more cerebral.

1985 Lynch Bages - This is another wine that is all about pleasure and arouses all of the senses. The green pepper was in balance on this bottle and the complexity was off the charts. The best bottle I’ve had of this wine.

1986 Mission Haut Brion - The vintage dominated and the drying tannins were a distraction to the wonderful balance of power and grace in this wine.

1989 Chateau Margaux - Elegant, aristocratic, perfumed, old school Bordeaux.

1989 Lynch Bages - This wine had so much fruit that it appeared from Napa. Wonderful but needs years to resolve and give the pleasure of the 85 Lynch.

Thanks for reading. Which one would you grab and save from your cellar?

1989 Chateau La Conseillante

it always makes me so sad to see that corked note next to what should have been such a fantastic bottle of wine. We hardly knew ye, la Mission Haut Brian '82. [cheers.gif]

1982 Château Léoville Las Cases

That’s just what would happen to me - time to save only one bottle from my cellar from a natural disaster, and it ends up being f***ing corked.

Hope everyone in the wine group made it thru Maria as unscathed as possible, Carlos!

My choice would be 2000 Margaux.

1998 Cheval Blanc

Tough day for la Mission HB-I’ve got (2) '98’s that I keep eyeing, but I know I need to let them be for a long time yet…

Thanks for the notes…

Great lineup and theme Carlos. Glad to see you enjoying life.

My choice: 1989 Haut Brion

+1 only problem it’s not in my cellar atm.

Thoughts still with Puerto Rico. Glad to see your group going strong.

Restricting to wines currently in the cellar, 1970 Domaine de Chevalier Rouge. For numerous reasons.

2000 L’Evangile…only have 1 and never had it.

Great notes Carlos.

2001 Donnhoff Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Eiswein

Me too, but the question makes me think I need to make sure it is proximate to my 1990 Margaux, 1996 Lafite, and 1986 Mouton so I can grab all 4 at once and be spared the dilemma.

Bordeaux covers such an enormous area!

1998 Haut Brion. Glad to read that you are safe, Carlos.

Thanks,
Ed

2000 Pichon Baron.

Was hoping for a note on the LMHB ‘82 as that is my answer.

Great idea for a tasting. Only reds there though… No one have a tasty Haut Brion Blanc tucked away?

For me it would have to be one of the bottles that I’d be the least likely to ever see another of. Probably 1921 Climens.

Whoops! Wasn’t paying enough attention.

2001 Chateau Latour

1982 Ch Margaux