2005 Copain - Roussanne & Thompson Syrah

• 2005 Copain Roussanne James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (11/18/2017)
    This was never a great wine but in its youth the wine was enjoyable despite the lack of acidity. Now it is an over oxidized mess. Probably not meant to be aged like this but it was one of those bottles that got lost in the cellar. (64 pts.)
  • 2005 Copain Syrah Thompson Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (11/14/2017)
    Wow. So it has been 9 years since I have popped a bottle of this and the wait was worth it. The 2005 is really hitting a great stride. Still power focused with great balance. Blue and black fruits. When young, this wine was dominated by the stems. Now everything is integrated and is an amazing example of a big Santa Barbara syrah. Full bodied and medium acid. Yum. (94 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason

I remember buying a 375 of this when we visited Copain in 2011. We drank it on the trip and really enjoyed it. I wish I had followed my tasting note and tried to find more.

I’ve had both of those Copain wines this month. I agree the 2005 Thompson Syrah is in a great spot right now. The bottle of 2005 James Berry Roussanne I drank was in much better shape, on the lighter side of medium in color, and only slightly oxidative, nutty and honeyed with still a lot of peach/pineapple fruit.

-Al

Jason,

Really surprised by the Roussanne and how it showed for you. Did you save any for Day 2?

I’ve been enjoying older Copain Roussannes from the James Berry Vyd and have found them to almost always be quite enjoyable. Yep, they do lack acidity, but that’s the grape in all of its glory :slight_smile: I did have a corked 08 but I guess that’s the chance you take with cork :slight_smile:

I’ll be popping either an 04 or 05 later this week and will post impressions, etc.

Cheers!

Mr S, I can’t speak to the 2005, as I have not had one in a while. However, from mag this past summer when up at the winery, I had the 2006 and there was no shortfall of acidity.

• 2006 Copain Roussanne James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (7/23/2017)
    From magnum, to close out a long day of tasting at the winery. Lime chew, honey, apricot, lively acidity and medium weight and aging well.

Posted from CellarTracker

Besides the 2005 a couple weeks ago, I had a 2004 Copain James Berry Roussanne two years ago and it was also in great shape (although you have to like Roussanne, not everyone does).

-Al

It certainly is very surprising. It’s simply not a great that holds on to its acidity well. I know that 2006 was a short hot vintage for most of us, and I certainly would be interested in the chemistry of the wine. Cheers!

Indeed, my friend. It is a wine that I love to introduce people to, and once I do, they really seem to enjoy it. But it’s rare to have a white wine that acts more like a red like this grape does. I have plenty more of these bottling, along with a few from Tablas Ann from Alban. I’m enjoying letting him rest and opening them up from time to time. Cheers!

I look forward to your thoughts on the Copains you open. I did not save any for the next day. Time/air was not going to help this wine. Actually my neighbor walked off with the wine. She enjoyed it. Keep in mind she had a raging cold and could not taste or smell.

Jason

So I opened an 05 Copain Roussanne last night and it did not show ‘over the hill’ at all. It had a slight ‘wet dog’ aroma last night and a distinct bitterness.

We left it out overnight ungassed and it is singing g on day 2 at room temperature. Mouth coating in the best of ways with notable lemon, candlewax, and earthy aromatics.

The acid is almost zero, but this is what I expect with this variety. My brother had some dried candied meyer lemon and I gotta say, it was a great pairing . . .

Cheers.

FWIW - there is an ocean of older Copain on WineBid right now

Wow. This note does not mimic the bottle I had. I have a few 06s that I will dig out.

BTW I might be cruising through your area at the end of January. I’d love to have you open my mind on Roussane as a stand alone grape. I would say variety or varietal but I always get those two mixed up [wow.gif]

Jason

Yep - for those who dig the variety, these are nice purchases . . .