TN: 2014 Domaine Pierre Gelin Fixin 1er Cru Clos Napoleon

• 2014 Domaine Pierre Gelin Fixin 1er Cru Clos Napoleon - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Fixin 1er Cru (11/18/2017)
    Not decanted but opened 8 hrs. – served in a Riedel Pinot Extreme. Initial reaction was wow that is pretty legit Burg – great nose, full of wild raspberries, subtle smoky coal embers, and a very small sliver of barrel. Bright, spry, of and full of energy, undefined red fruits leave a very positive impression, seems more to come if given a few years sideways. Nice finish that leaves a slight saline taste. A really good deal at $28, and I bet you could find this for $25. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks, sounds awesome. However is it really that affordable (if not heavily discounted, that is)? I find the label fascinating so when I saw a bottle in a shop in Dijon I was willing to buy until I heard the price which was almost 60 Euros.

This also became pretty expensive in my area. K&L has the 2012 at $60 now, and I think the recent releases have been around $50.

Wow, it was $28 plain as day locally. I did a quick search on winesearcher for the 14 and they all came in between $45 and $55. Never having purchased a wine from this Commune before, I just sort of assumed they were compariable to a Beaujolais price structure, clearly this was just a smoking good deal. Irrespective of price, this really was a lovley wine in its own right and I am certainly going back for more.

This is a nice wine, and Gelin are really working pretty seriously these days. The wines are elegant and classy. Their old vines in the Gevrey Clos Prieur usually produce one of their best cuvées. The Clos Napoléon tends to be quite dark fruity and wild aromatically and rather supple and gourmand on the palate - at least in my experience. I spent a couple of months living in Fixin on one occasion and would drop by quite often. They sometimes dig out oldish vintages of their Clos de Bèze for sale at the domaine.

I’m a huge fan of this wine every year. It’s usually hovered around the $45-$50 for as long as I’ve been buying it. I assume you have the Chateau and Estate importer tag on the back? They have gotten out of the wine game, and have been dumping epic amounts of wine in the market. I have been buying up stock at retail for over a year now, and some of the deals have been insane. This appears to be one of those.