TN: 14 Aubai Mema 'Albion' [Gard]

14 Aubai Mema ‘Albion’ blanc [Gard] This is a K&L direct import from the Languedoc region. It’s a 14% abv blend of half viognier and chardonnay. Both my wife and I thought it tasted more like a Chard though, more buttery than floral, and losing its crisp edge. It’s full bodied, and pairs well enough with Chinese takeout. My wife thought there was some wood flavors, but I doubt something like this gets that expensive treatment, but who knows. It didn’t have those notes to me. I also get a little citrus here. It’s a solid white when you want something different, and I don’t mind drinking it, but would not go out of my way to repurchase, although its a solid value. I’d give it a B- or so.

I’ve been there. It’s an expat Brit who owns it. Made a bit of money elsewhere and wanted to make wine. The wines aren’t bad, they’re carefully made, but don’t quite yet reach any exalted heights. Still, they’re fair values and he’ll improve over time.

As painful as it is to admit, the SO might have been correct: the producers do appear to use some oak.