TN: 2012 Raffault - Chinon "Les Picasses" (France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon)

2012 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (10/15/2017)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: light; red-fruited; medium-light brett note.

BODY: medium-light bodied.

TASTE: bitter chewable aspirin; bretty; not tannic; adequate acidity; hint of the typical Cab. Franc pyrazines; seems pretty open; a lighter vintage for this bottling, it would seem. Gut impression score: mid 80s.

This note is dead-on point. I was thinking orange-flavored baby aspirin the whole time! I’m not that impressed with this vintage.

well … damn. One of those times I was hoping to get shouted-down, especially because I have two more bottles. Torn between socking 'em away and hoping for the best or drinking them now to make room in the cellar. mmmmmm …

Thanks for posting, Robert. [cheers.gif]

Lol. Stick them away. Raffault can fool more for sure in some vintages, think 2002.

Recently had this and sadly agree. The bitterness seemed to be from the Brett, the wine just lacked any sense of dynamics. I remember liking this one in its youth…

I bought 12 375mls based on hope. I tried one and thought I should move the other 11 to a location I call “Seller” in CT to offload them. I’m not convinced there is enough behind the curtain for me to keep them. Inertia may keep them around.

2012 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (10/29/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasting note started 2 hours after opening –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 5 hours –
– 100% Cabernet Franc –

NOSE: reticent upon opening, but better after two hours open – more complex and expressive; light red fruits; a bit of an ashy mineral note; clean; little-to-no obvious bell pepper; interesting floral aspect; slight orange oil note around the 3 hour mark.

BODY: clear; garnet-violet color of medium to medium-deep depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: 12.5% alc. not noticeable; open; hint of brie rind; back-end note of anise; not terribly herbaceous; no brett; forward/open/accessible; light/elegant; better than my previous bottle a year ago. I do not see this as a long ager, but rather a wine best consumed in the next five years.

50, 5, 12, 15, 6 = (88 pts.)