TN: 2014 Château Giscours (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux)

2014 Château Giscours - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (10/10/2017)
– decanted 30 minutes before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind on Day 1 and Day 3 –

NOSE: young; red-fruited Cab.; noticeable-but-light-oak

BODY: blood red color of medium to medium-deep depth; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: light, stony tannins; good freshness; raspberry & blackberry – fruit does taste a bit baked; hint of chocolatey oak. Day 3: still red-fruited; oak more noticeable today; excellent. Drink now and over the next 15 years. Definite re-buy @$40. Gut impression score: 92-93.

I’ve been fairly bullish on 14’ Bordeaux, which means I’ve actually bought a few (Ducru, GPL). I may bring another super 2nd I’m curious about for next time.

Thanks for taking one for the team, Brian. I’ve got three bottles as part of a case of 2014 Bordeaux (3 each) and plan to sit on them for a while. Your day 3 notes have me excited.

Last weekend we attended a Pichon Baron vertical hosted by Christian Seely. His 2014 showed pretty well once you got past the - as yet - unintegrated oak. He espoused the virtues of the so-called cool vintages, with several on show. Given the way he described the growing season 2014 May have the potential to be one of the most auspicious cool years as a cool summer was fully rescued by an Indian summer, less than fully in some other ‘cool’ vintages.

RWC and Mtn View Costcos have plenty of these @ $39.99 per

I like Giscours and I too own the 2014 and have purchased the 2015 on futures untasted and sight unseen, and from what I have read with respect to the 2015 Margaux’s and Giscours more specifically, I would be betting the farm on this 2015 and especially when there is only a measly ~$10 premium over the 2014.

Todd,
You’ll be happy with your purchase. It’s good wine.

Rob,
You will field exactly ZERO objections from me on that!

May have to make a pit stop by Costco.