A great Semillon from Oregon!

2013 Coury Old Vine Sémillon. Unfined, Unfiltered from own rooted vines. David Hill Vineyards, Forest Grove, OR.
A combination of deliciousness and balance. Medium/dense body, peach and other white fruit, great cut. It even appealed to Marybeth, who’d typically prefer drinking acidified liquid rocks without added fruit. This was a singleton bottle, given to me by a friend who owns a wine store. I’ll look for it again.

Cheers,
Warren

I was just searching for the winery’s homepage, but typed “Coury Winery” into the Google engine.

I take it that the winery I should be looking for is David Hill Vineyards/Winery?

Please advise.

I am interested in learning more about this winery.

It’s not made by David Hill Winery, but the grapes are from them. The winemaker is Jeff Vejr, Golden Cluster is his project.

Yes, Golden Cluster is the label you want to look for. Fascinating wines.

Thanks Semillon! :wink:

Where in Oregon are the grapes grown for this? And how does the style compare to Aussie Hunter valley styles? I’m sure this will be difficult to find outside of local.

The first post says where the grapes are grown, outside the town of Forest Grove. It’s in Washington County, part of the Willamette Valley AVA. As far as comparing, the Golden Cluster, to me, is more high pitched and doesn’t have the minerally palate feel thing that Hunter Valley examples can have, rather it’s more depth of fruit interwoven with bright acidity.

The Ode to Chuck (Coury) bottling is noticeably barrel marked, making me think of good white Bordeaux more than anything else in comparison. Essentially a reserve level wine. I have seen it at tastings in London so you never know where bottles will turn up.

Interesting. I will look for these wines. What is the pricing like? Tough, bit is that in general, old world versions can be found at superior quality for far less the price.

Jason

Just ordered some of Golden Cluster’s savagnin rose (white wine, rose is part of the name, supposedly the same as klevener de Heiligenstein in Alsace) from this vineyard, apparently these vines were brought in from Alsace and planted in the mid-1960s (along with the other white varieties). Recommended by Wink Lorch on her Jura blog, ($28, doesn’t seem too extravagant) I’ll post a note when it arrives.

Ill keep a look out, love cold climate Semillon.