Spectator top 100

Am I missing something or has someone already started this bitch session thread?

I was wondering who would start it. I see the shadows were all Bordeaux style bottles this year, no hints.

All but #1 have been released so far:
10: Booker Oublie Paso 2014
9: Pahlmeyer Napa Char 2015
8: Meyer Napa Cab 2014
7: Canon-La-Gaffeliere 2014
6: Huet Vouvray Demi Sec Le Mont 2016
5: Chateau de St Cosme Gigondas 2015
4: Casanova di Neri (white label) 2012
3: Chateau Cotet 2014
2: K Syrah Walla Walla Powerline 2014
1: released tomorrow

Usual collection of wines, they just take turns

For example they like a Paso red in there, this year Booker, other years its been Denner, Saxum, Tablas creek etc.

Always a Sweet Bordeaux

Dont forget Oregon red

Italian BDM or similar

Napa cab

Its like a TV commercial, you have to have a black, asian, white, man, woman mix of young and old so nobody gets upset

*great note of sarcasm, I am equally apathetic. This list may influence some people’s buying decisions but I cannot be counted as among them

Yeh, was checking it out earlier. Comparing #2 to #3, there must be some “X-factor” coming into play.

Which of these would you guess is #3 and which is #2?

96 points $37 4,000 cases made
95 points $45, 1,319 cases made

Huet got on the list… which sucks…

Coutet - bargain sauterne… again sucks…

i hate these lists… only makes wine more expensive… which is obviously the point…

Agreed, I was sad to see Huet on there, hopefully it won’t jump like the Produttori Asili did…

That’s a terribly uninteresting list of wines. To me. ymmv
Also-Kind of tone deaf to 21st wine drinking.

The wine geek negative reaction to this list every year seems so overblown to me. I think it’s kind of fun and interesting. Not worth arguing about though.

Most likely the Advertising Agency buying decisions. :stuck_out_tongue:

*great note of sarcasm, I am equally apathetic. This list may influence some people’s buying decisions but I cannot be counted as among them[/quote]

I doubt the list influence many of the board’s decisions. But I can tell you it does influence a lot of people’s decision. A lot. It also influences the price and availability of the wine, too.

JD

The negative reaction is predictable.
Except when board darlings get top spots.
This predictably elicits positive reaction, praise, and congratulations from the people who formerly regarded the list with open disdain and derision.

Just one isolated incident but there is an impact. I was looking at Wine Searcher for the Huet the day before it was announced and saw it at Rye Brook Wine for $35.99. The day after it was announced it was up to $72.99. Others don’t appear to have raised their prices but several are now sold out.

I also find a few new things to try after the 100 list comes out. It is fun to read. I will stay off your lawn.

How can you guys be wasting time on this when Rolling Stone is about to announce the 100 best albums of the year?

There haven’t been 100 good albums this millennium.

im right there with you. I always think a funny aspect of the list is how rare it is to see a 98-99 point wine on it. seems like a wine that gets the highest score of the year should at least crack the top 10…

Someone last year accurately pointed out that the prices for #2-#10 always jump up right after the announcement but then go back to normal after a month or two.

case in point, you can get the Domaine Serene (#2 last year) for $40 now or buy the current release for $55 all over - which is around what it went for last year (no huge price increase). It was selling for $150 on winebid right after it came out though.

#1 though is a different story

I enjoy going to wine-searcher and seeing how quickly they appear to be “Out of stock” on all 30+ wine shops offering that wine at the exact time the wine is revealed. Too Funny. Or seeing the prices on wine-searcher reflect what they use to be as soon as you click on the website and see the website has an updated 150% or more increase in price. Amusing. I still do enjoy it though. Its exciting. I once and only once scrambled to get a wine on the list. I think it was the 2009 shea estate pinot noir. I believe it was like #2 or #3? Cant remember. But I found them on Total Wine and More shelves and bought everything I could for like $35 I believe. The last two I’ve cracked open (in last two years) tasted almost medicinal and just sluggish, no structure. Thanks WS! neener I’m sure they were great early on and do remember opening one up shortly after the list was revealed but man were they wrong about its ageing potential.