TN: 2015 William & Mary Cabernet Sauvignon Shifflett Ranch

Note that Will did not ask me to post a note. I simply wanted to add to the conversation started by FMII and supply a different view based on the air it received. Also want to warn the Pobega prone buyers so they get the best impression possible. Hope it’s helpful. [cheers.gif]

Opened on Tuesday evening and poured a glass. Coiled up tightly not unlike other ‘15s I have tasted with dense sappy fruit and oak dominating. Checked in again on Wednesday and it still needed air so I left the wine in the glass overnight and this note is from Thursday morning.

Dark red and purple fruit along with a whaft of tobacco leaves and cigar box. Nice intensity on the palate as the fruit and spice play off each other. The finish has a nice tart edge similar to the ‘14 that I really enjoy that balances out the fruit profile. The note of alcohol from FMIII was there on the pnp but after all the air it integrated nicely once the fruit settled down and the tannins appeared. Firm, fairly grippy tannins that soften a bit with some red berry notes lingering throughout the finish.

My recommendation would be to either A: Stash this in the back of the cellar for 5 years minimum or B: Pour into a decanter and let it breath for 24-36hrs or it will not show it’s stuff. This is seriously wound up tight right now but man does it deliver when you are patient.

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m pointing these towards 2026.

Wisely

Thanks for the info. Look forward to getting mine and I’ll be sure to decant it prior.