Giovanni Canonica

Hoping to pick some brains, read a bunch about this producer, how are the wines?

They just landed in seattle (they’ve never been here before) and are extremely limited so am looking for someone with more experience with these.

Thanks

I haven’t tried the wines, but I own 3 vintages. I was going to let others respond, but since no one else has, I will give it a shot based on what I know. Canonica is a traditionalist producer, with a tendency towards wild and rough as opposed to restrained. They are supposed to be excellent, unique and full of personality. The CT reviews are quite helpful, I have found.

Yeah, I read all about him, I know his traditional and whole cluster leanings and am fascinated by them. Just curious who has actually tasted them…

If you are hesitant to buy, seek out the nebbiolo if it’s available. It should give you a good idea about the level of quality of the Barolo.

All I know is that Chambers Street made a strong pitch for them a few months back. Never tasted one.

I did, bought the Nebbiolo and Barolo, the issue is theyre as rare as it gets in these parts, you don’t really get a chance to try one and decide to buy. About 3cs of each came into the market, with most shops getting a 2 bottle allocation…

The '15 nebbiolo is built for medium-term aging. It was my first time trying the Langhe rosso, but the tannins didn’t seem as fine as the barolo’s usually are, so I thought it could use some time. Oddly enough, in comparison, Canonica Barolo seemed more accessible on release. I haven’t tried '12 or '13 yet, but I’ve had '07, '10, '11, with the '10 looking like it’s starting to shut down recently. No hurry to drink these either. You should be happy with your purchases.

I wanted to visit this August, at the recommendation of a person with knowledge of the region, but they were closed. Apparently a very classical producer, but never tried his wines.

I opened a 2006 Barolo Paiagallo for a blind tasting group in February 2016 (wonder if John missed it). At the time I wrote: Some orange at the edges, this is beginning to develop nicely and can be enjoyed now, although could easily hold and drink 10 years from now. Good acidity, tannins resolving–not overwhelming. Roses and tar and orange peel with a dose of fruit. Very light on its feet. A real treat. Nice to find a Barolo that is approachable as it approaches 10 years. (Blind tasting group had little difficult in identifying this as Barolo although vintage guesses ranged from 1996 to mid-00’s.)

Needless to say, I really enjoyed it.

Indeed, I was there, and I took notes on the '06:

“Gorgeous aroma! Nebbiolo. Trace of VA. Orange peel, rose hips, good tannins… Terrific!” I guessed an '01 or something between '04 and '06. I gave it 93 points.

Thanks gents, this was exactly what I was looking for. Sometimes wines like these aren’t cracked up to what they should be and I just wanted to get feedback before I tried to source any more in my market (I have a chance for a bottle or 2 more).

I can buy Vajra or Brovia single vins for about the same price $65 and with limited investment dollars wanted to make sure I was buying soundly.

If you can get the 06 Paiagallo for $65, I’d say that’s a good deal. You can’t get the current release Vajra crus for that around here.

I get a slight industry discount so the Vajra cru’s are around that price, the Canonica is 13’ and after tax + disco it’s $65…

I think they are what they are cracked up to be. Lovely wines, sometimes with impressive alcohols, always with a touch of natural wine on the nose, particularly when young, well balanced, and elegant, though not the most complex examples of Barolo. I had a mag of the 04 Paiagallo this spring that was relatively at peak and stood up well to wines from more renowned producers.

Sorry I’m late to the game. I’ve had the 2008 (sublime, rich, pure, forward, soulful rosewater and truffle but with loads of future), the 2010 (young, tight, but showed tons and tons of promise) and the 2011 (a bit on the lighter side, crazy complex, but missed the texture the 2008 and 2010 had). I own the 2013, and bought extra to pop one in the near future.

Have vintages six through 11 in bottles and mags … as the Brits say ‘proper’ old style Barolo perhaps ‘artisan’ …whatever that means…fun, enjoyable young but quite raw tannins, collectors items given they are tough to source.