Barcode labels and scanner

My Cellartracker is way out of date. We just had our floors refinished which necessitated unloading both 500 bottle wine cabinets in my study and box up the wine for a couple weeks. I looked on the site and looked how to edit locations of those bottles. I saw mention of printing barcode labels and scanning them.
just curious of others experiences with this?

I’ve got a dymo label printer and CT makes it easy to print labels directly from the web interface. You don’t need a dedicated scanner, the capability is built right into the mobile app on your phone. It’s really quite a simple process. I use some third party labels off eBay that are designed for easy removal. The printer is thermal so there is no ink to replace ever.

BTW, if you have a lot of bottles to locate (i.e., you’re reshelving) it may be more efficient to print out a list of bottles, note where you located them, and then type the information in on a computer.

Couldn’t maintain my cellar without the barcoding function in CT. It’s a simple process to scan a bottle when you remove it from your cellar. One advantage of a dedicated scanner (which I no longer use with the advent of the CT iPhone app) is the ability to bulk scan. I wish that feature could find it’s way into the app, but scanning one at a time isn’t a big deal.

Having access to my saved searches on the app would be a very big deal. I think Eric is working on that one.

I’m very happy with using barcodes, and I don’t think there’s any way I could keep my inventory straight without them. (I still have some issues when I forget to scan something in or out, but far less than before I was doing barcodes).

I do have a dedicated scanner which I use when I’m doing inventory or moving more than a handful of bottles around. The dedicated scanner is much faster and can scan from a further distance away than the app can. I also have barcode labels on my bins in offsite, and I print them large enough that they can be scanned from a few feet away with the scanner. The app is great for when I’m opening a bottle and want to remove it from inventory quickly, though. I like having both options because they each have their own strengths.

I’m using a Dymo Labelwriter 450 Turbo and a Motorola Symbol CS3070 scanner, which connects to my computer or mobile device via Bluetooth. I also use some homegrown software to print the labels rather than doing it directly from the CT interface, but I don’t necessarily recommend that; I just did it beacuse I’m a nerd…

Not many great wines with Barcodes

I just started using it and love it. I use my iPhone in the CT app rather than a scanner. That works fine for me.

You are confusing EAN/UPC with the CellarTracker custom barcodes that everyone else is talking about.

On reconciling: Reconciling your inventory - CellarTracker Support

On barcoding: Barcoding - CellarTracker Support

I transitioned to this system with a dymo printer and iPhone scanner this year. It’s been great. As others have said, bulk scanning with a phone isn’t great. Your situation is similar to mine. You could actually update CT with the new location, print label with location on label, and then put the bottle there. Pretty easy.

I moved across the country and printed labels, then used that as an inventory check to make sure all the bottles made it. Worked well. Scanning each bottle with the phone and entering new location was a pain (1000 bottles)

Hope it works out well for you, Mont…just thought I wd take the opportunity to say hello

Jon