Someone's first Juge.

After a great dinner at Vicia (notes here by Adrian Hanging out with the St. Louis crowd - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers) , Jon, Nick and I retreated back to Tyler’s house for some more sips.

While hanging out in Tyler’s cellar, it came up that Nick had never had Marcel Juge. Tyler graciously pulled a 2005 Juge, a wine I’ve never had the chance to try.

I don’t recall what Nick’s final opinion was on the wine as it went down way too easy and way too quick, but another stellar bottle of Juge. I love the transformation the wine makes in its lifetime. It’s wild and crazy when young, energy dies down a bit as a teenager but picks up this seamless palate and then in its adulthood it’s such a complete wine.

[*]2005 Marcel Juge Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (11/14/2017)
it has the wonderful Juge cut of minerality and elegant presence on the palate with a strong flow of red bramble fruit, sweet earth and a dash of funk. The bright acidity makes the wine so easy to drink. While it has a nice complexity of fruit, you can sense that it’s still holding a little something back so I think the wine still has some time ahead of it to really fill out. Certainly a burgundy drinker’s syrah. All you the flavor you want from a well put together chambolle but with a touch of wild.[/list]

One note from prior to dinner. Tyler and I were slaving away in front of our laptops when he suggested we pull a bottle to relax a hour or so before dinner. Ever the generous host he pulled…

• 2002 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Reignots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (11/14/2017)
    The style difference of pre 05 Liger is so different from where it is now. This wine is all structure, tannin, dark burly fruit opposed to the sweet bright red seamless fruit of current releases. It took about a hour in the decanter to crack its shell, it threw off some cedar and ripe stem and the fruit got softer, but never quite opened up. I’d hold.

You’re way too young to be drinking all these Juge’s! [snort.gif]

lol. Not gonna be much left when I’m done with it

i wish fu would serve me more juge. all i had was a lousy '13 :wink:

I wish Fu would go back to his fancy Burgs.

neener

he loves cornas. he forgot about burgs. [wink.gif]

Cornas is for country lawyers like me with clunky palates. I mean really, who wants this rustic crap anyway? Next thing you know, Fu will want my Chinon…

never had one. None of my associates have cellars

i hear chinon is the holy grail in wine.

Gotta get to know more of your associates!!

Indeed. While I love my associate protégée, I’m just not sure Fu is ready for Chinon. His palate needs another ten years of training. Neal, on the other hand, is phucked at his age…

Drinking a Baudry Les Clos Guillot as we speak.

edson is f*cking with you.

Come on Fu, I may be from the sticks, but even i got that one.

:wink:

haha, alfert and i were just having a good time bro.

happy thursday everyone!

Hey, That was a blast. Had so much fun. The Juge was great and it was very generous of Tyler to pop it. Also got to taste a great bourbon ! Great to meet you finally also Fu. Just as I imagined.

I was there also - the Jug was just OK - way to young :slight_smile:

Uh oh, beware the wrath of Fu he who says Juge is too young!

I said that about the 13 and 11 and he nearly bit my head off.

Won’t even tell you what he said to Goldman :frowning:

You and Favre are the same, don’t have the palates to appreciate the majesty of juge at any vintage [snort.gif]

I thought the Juge was nice but I’ll stick with Thierry.

Favre I thought we were going to have a moment in the uber at the end of the night. always awesome to see you guys.

neener