Thoughts on this "Rule" for Thanksgiving wines?

“Rule No. 3: If the food is good and the company convivial, you cannot go wrong with the wine. If the food is bad and the company annoying, wine can only help.”

Bruce

Seems totally sensible to me, Bruce.
Tom

Whether that rule makes sense depends on (a) the foods and (b) how much you care about/pay attention to food-wine matches. Some typical Thanksgiving dishes, like very sweet potatoes, can make high-acid wines taste nasty.

I’m guessing the writer has never had Sierra Carche.

Rereading that, I think it can be paraphrased as: If you’re drunk and rowdy, the wine doesn’t matter. And, if the company sucks, you’ll want to get drunk and the wine won’t matter.

Which leaves open the possibility that you’re not in a stupor yet and the company isn’t so good or so bad that it completely distracts from the wine or the food-wine match.

I have been in situations where adding alcohol to the mix was a bad idea for family who are prone to fighting.

Sometimes, the grandchildren make wine indispensable.

Rules?? Rules??

We don’t need no steenking rules!! neener

Yes, more alcohol doesn’t necessarily result in more enjoyable meal…

Bruce

I thought based on the title that the “rule” might be American wines only for Thanksgiving. It’s a guideline for me, but not a hard and fast rule.

If the company is good enough and there’s enough going on, sometimes I don’t really pay attention to the wine – good or bad. So I try to avoid opening special bottles during those times.

That doesn’t make crappy wine good, or make a bad match into a good match.

A lot is made of not making a fuss for Thanksgiving wines, but I for one enjoy making an effort at it. So many foods and pairings, it’s a great opportunity to educate people. Not in an overt way but just open good wines. If they don’t care then no great loss, but I enjoy trying. I’ve always had receptive auduoences though. YMMV

Bad food and bad company, I am taking my Wine home early

Yes, even if the food and company are good, that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to serve a sweet Sauternes with roasted turkey…

Bruce

For the losers, but it can be quite enjoyable for the spectators. [berserker.gif]

Wait, WHAAAT? That’s precisely what it does! [drinkers.gif]