Found a decent deal on a Ridge Monte Bello at a restaurant

Just today I was looking at a wine list to a restaurant I am planning on dining at. I was planning on bringing my own bottle and pay the corkage. Something caught my eye on the list though that makes a difficult choice for me. They had a 1996 Ridge Monte Bello for $160. That seemed very moderate to me. I looked it up on WS Pro and the lowest I could find was $240.It also appears to be a good vintage according to cellartracker.

Although I have plenty of great high end Cali Cabs I only have a handful of very young Monte Bello. I have spent a lot on my wine budget lately, so I might pass, but this is very hard to resist. If I don’t get it tonight, I am tempted to go back real soon with my buddy who is itb and split it and possibly another gem. Every time I try to be a good boy, a bargain sucks me in. Hey, he who drinks the best wine wins…

I think the wine is a strong relative value at the price. I’m surprised to see that it’s hit 240 already, it was significantly lower just a year or so ago.

I’d buy at that price for sure! Did you confirm it’s not a 375, or the Santa Cruz mountains bottle?

Buy them out of the 96 at that price if they’ll do doggie bags.

As good as any vintage since 91.

I looked at a wine list for a friend going to Clancy’s in New Orleans. They have this for $295 so $160 is great.

Try not to get your hopes up with restaurant wine lists.

In fact, head into the restaurant assuming that it’s out-of-stock.

Very few restaurants keep their wine lists up-to-date, and it’s entirely possible that they haven’t had that particular wine in stock since circa the most recent Bush Administration.

No politics! :wink:

This. Had my heart set on a Penfolds Grange on a list a few years ago for a very reasonable tariff when this occurred.

better call and be sure they have it . . .

At a local and well respected restaurant, I have seen the Ridge Estate listed as Monte Bello on the wine list. When questioned, the server points to the label and says the wine is from the Monte Bello Vineyard or “Monte Bello Ridge.” Eyes glazed as I wasted my time attempting to explain the difference.

I had found that to be confusing when I was first looking at Ridge- the label isn’t very clear.

That is roughly double, maybe slightly less than double, the typical retail price on release, which was in 1999 IIRC. Seems too good to be true to me.

I am always surprised what I find on lists. A large chain steak house that I frequent often has some great stuff. In the last year I have purchased '91/'96 Ridge MB for $190, '02 Grange for $290, and '10 Hillside Select for $260. Got a bottle of Krug MV for $190 in a hotel restaurant in Charleston within the last month. I usually find that bubbles are WAY over priced.

Bought a 96 half $50 about 10 years ago. Asked if i could buy all they had, but said they couldn’t, it was back in PA

+1

+2

I think I will have to do just that very soon. Of course I will call first.

They also have 95 Montelena Estate for $115 and the WS pro low is $110 and also the 96 Montelena for the same price. The Ws pro low on that one is $99. Although these aren’t below retail they are incredibly well priced compared to standard restaurant mark ups.

The 1996 Montelena also is quite good.

It’s not only worth calling to make sure they actually have the 750ml at that price, but it you’re sure
you’ll be dining there give them a credit card and have them hold it for you (assuming you know you want it).

Saves the disappointment of finding out they sold their last bottle the night before you got there.

Bruce

Totally agree which is why I called the restaurant to confirm that it was, indeed, ridge Montebello, it was the vintage listed, and it was in stock. They went and loved it. And, the restaurant, which I have never been to, was wonderful so with the food recommendation and a great wine list, I’m in on my next trip to NOLA.