R.I.P. Patty Green

Sorry I cannot do better than this general release letter. As much as I have tried to stay ahead of the way information spreads I have been incapable of that.

There is no way to convey this message without the sadness and loss that I feel, so the act of writing this makes me feel lonely and awful. I was informed on the evening of November 6th that my friend, business partner and wine making companion Patty Green had passed away unexpectedly. Her body was discovered by neighbors in her rural cabin retreat outside of Roseburg. She had recently turned 62 years old.

I had the special privilege of having known, worked and partnered with Patty for over 20 years. I met Patty in 1995 and over the course of the preceding 22+ years we went from strangers working together to co-conspirators in making something out of a new Oregon winery to partners in a vineyard and winery venture that surpasses anything we ever expected to do. We had ups and downs like anybody does in any sort of relationship but we used to joke that other than the weird people whose marriages somehow survived owning a winery together that we were the longest standing winemaking duo in Oregon. There’s something to both the factual information about that and the joking sentiment behind it that contribute to the special nature of our relationship.

Patty was a mighty force and an old soul crammed into a small little body. She had done so many interesting and crazy things in her life way before she started making wine that it was hilarious how far down the list the life of a winemaker was in her amazing life. Her approach to winemaking was pure. She had no motivations to be famous or acknowledged or even particularly that well paid. She had a belief in what parts of the earth could bear and what she could do to guide that fruit along a path of turning from one pristine to state to another. Because of her desire to be extremely low-profile and the nature of the winery itself she likely did not get the accolades for her work in the Oregon wine business. Nonetheless I know that the loss I feel will also be a loss to the more delicate soul of all the things that make winemaking and vineyard tending special in Oregon.

Obviously at this time we are simply attempting to inform people and figure out how we will all go about grieving. There is still very little information available, even to us, and we appreciate that for the time being folks allow us to attempt to figure out where things stand and what will be done to ensure that everyone can have an opportunity, if they wish, to share in saying goodbye and celebrating the life of a unique, special and wonderful individual.

We understand and appreciate that people may want to reach out. At this time to do so please only contact Jim Anderson at jim@patriciagreencellars.com. Memorial services are being planned and as that comes together we will inform everyone as to the specifics.

Jim – Saddened to read this, sorry for your loss.

A moving and heartfelt tribute, Jim. My sincere condolences on your loss.

So sorry to hear of your loss. She will be missed.

My condolences Jim.

Jim, I am so sorry for you loss.

I’m sorry for your loss, Jim. May Patty’s memory be a blessing.

That is awful news Jim, so sorry to hear.

So sorry for your loss

I remember the first time I had met patty, she had come up to seattle on a sales trip and was stuck waiting for a while before I could taste, while she was waiting a jackass of an Washington winemaker made a complete fool of himself with backhand compliments about her wines and pricing structure… I was so embarrassed but patty was so gracious and professional and kept a smile on her face the whole time, no other person that I have met could have endured that situation the way she did.

I’ve met her several times since and she was always graceful, kind and willing to talk straight.

The Oregon wine community lost one of its truly great people.

I’m am shocked and saddened and can only give condolences to Jim and the crew, I know it is a monumental loss to you all.

Rest in peace Patty…

Deep condolences Jim

Terrible. My condolences.

My condolences, Jim.

So sorry to hear this. My deepest condolences.

I raise my glass in a toast to her enduring memory.

Terrible news. I met her years ago at the winery and enjoyed our interaction. My condolences.

Jim all I can say is that the world has lost a true gem of a human being.

So very sorry.

Truly one of a kind, sorry for yours and our loss Jim.

Wow, shocked and saddened to read this, Jim.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I send my deepest condolences.