Chenin Blanc for less than $100 --- who do you go to?

I keep wrangling with the idea that – for my preferences – I overbuy Chardonnay, and underbuy Sauv. Blanc and Chenin Blanc. Briefly stated, I believe this is because some of my favorite producers from whom I regularly buy make excellent Chardonnays, and there’s not much money left over for buying the grapes I actually prefer.

I do alright scratching my Sauv. Blanc itch, but I am massively failing when it comes to Chenin. I figure if I’m willing to pay what I do for Chards, then I should even moreso be willing to do the same for Chenin. And I am willing. But I have an ignorance problem. Perhaps we all experience this dynamic to some extent, or have in the past.

So, for all you Chenin lovers, who do you prefer under $100? It’s time for me to focus more on what I love, and less on what I like. [cheers.gif]

I can’t think of many dry ones over $100.

I drink little from the Loire these days other than Savennières. Tail lander is good value.

Elsewhere I quite like Tyrell’s Vat 1 but prefer them with age.

I don’t care much for riper styles.

I like the Marc Bredif Vouvrays but they are no where near $100 a bottle. You can get them on occasion with 20 years on them for about $60AU. And the 1990 are about $100AU

Vat 1 is Semillon

Of course. Stupid of me. I do like it though. I suspect the mindfart was because I consider it a bit ‘Savennières like’

+1 on Marc Bredif. These are the “priciest” Vouvrays I buy - something like $23 a bottle where I’m at. Far and away my favorite Vouvray producer for the stuff I regularly have access to.

Pinon is good. Personally, I like Ludovuc Chanson, there is a nice recent write up on his operation on Wine Terriors, also. Guiberteau is good, too, but a different style and experience.

What’s a good, really dry, steely, mineraly Chenin that is fairly easy to find for say <$40?

Head to South Africa

Umm…I’m not much of a Chenin fan, but…err…Huet?!

How is this even a question?

1 Like

I can’t think of any that are anywhere near $100 other than desert wines.

I wil keep an eye here and maybe I’ll learn something.

Paumanok.

Huet, Foreau, Pinon.

And as others said you’re going to have a hard time paying over $100.

1 Like

As others have indicated, it’s much more of an effort to find Chinon over $100 than under. There’s a long list of Loire producers worth trying, including (in no particular order) Pinon, Chidaine, Huet, Foreau, Champalou, Pithon-Paille, La Grange Tiphaine, and Bernard Baudry (who is new to the game). Domaine du Closel deserves special mention, as they make very distinctive Savennieres (e.g. La Jalousie). All of the above can be had for less than $50, often much less. If you’re insisting on paying more, Thierry Germain has gotten fairly pricey, though he’s not bumping into the $100 ceiling yet. His wines are very good, but I think the others listed are better value.

I haven’t found any other part of the world that compares to the Loire in quality and value, though South Africa has potential. And in California, Lo-Fi makes a very good Chenin Blanc at a very reasonable price.

2 Likes

Try the Chidaine Franc de Pied Les Bournais, about as good as it gets and one that would appeal to a high end Chard drinker.

Assuming dry or semi dry wines, this is easy. Huet and Foreau with some age. There are some newer producers doing nice things these days as well. Sweet wines older Huets, sometime Foreau. Then there are highly idiosyncratic (and variable) things like Joly Coulee de Serrant (so) which is savennieres. A very different beast.

Lots of classics have already been cited, but you might want to check out the wines of Thibaud Boudignon.

There is a whole natural wine alley to go down here, and whatever one’s opinion of that movement, Richard Leroy’s wines are worth tasting. Probably try 2015s, as his 2014s are already getting cloudy (I’m guessing malolactic instability) even in France.

I was about to mention Boudignon. Had a couple of nice ones recently.

Obviously, I would second Huet, Foreau, Pinon, Chidaine.

Closel Savennieres are good and on the natural wine tip, I’ve had a few GREAT bottles of Marc Angeli wines in the past month. Really among the best whgite wines I’ve had all year.

Matthieu Baudry also makes Chinon blanc from assorted vineyards and a GREAT one from La Croix Boissée.

I’ve been mightily impressed with the new look wines from Thierry Germain.

I just talked myself into buying more chenin. I have too much chardonnay.

Great recommendation, a fantastic wine for sure. Joly’s Coulée de Serrant would fit the bill as well.

1 Like

I still think it’s hard to argue with Huet, particularly for the money. I believe only the top sweet cuvee is over $100, unless you’re buying library offerings (though it does seem prices are rising there).

Chidaine is good but I’ve had some serious inconsistency in recent vintages.

Guiberteau and Germain both seem good and if you’re just insisting on spending more money each has some bottling there that will allow you to do so. Are the wines better than Huet though? I think the answer is clearly no.

Don’t see it around a lot, but Taille Aux Loups (Jackie Blot) is worth checking out.

I’m getting a good vibe from Lambert at Chateau de Breze too.

I’ve had some really meh Foreau, but maybe I’m just not trying them with enough age.