Wines are no longer free to travel across state lines

SCOTUS be darned.

Anyone have a sense of the real ramifications here and when?
Like I have cases of wine being held at various places around the country.
Do I literally now have to worry about getting them to me?

The wine wholesalers, UPS, and Fedex may know better than we do, but seem unlikely to offer us advance notice, based on prior shipping halts.

My approach is to ship things when possible, to avoid possibly having treasured purchases trapped in Paid-But-Not-Shippable purgatory.

I don’t like restrictions on wine shipments, but I don’t see what this has to do with the Supreme Court. It’s also old news at this point.

There have been a number of posts on this topic in recent months. It is a real issue. I stopped buying wine on the West Coast and Chicago because of it, and many of us in NY have had common carrier shipping channels cut off.

Note that, in many online retailer Terms and Conditions, title and responsibility for wine passes to the buyer upon confirmed payment, even if held for later shipment.

are operations like garagiste and full pull toast now?

Yeah, I have a shipment due today from a carrier mentioned in the article (a case of 2015 Château Maillet) and I’m not in one of those 14 states. I know New York’s AG has been sending letters to out of state retailers, but that has been ongoing. Was there a change in the last few days? I have cases of Bordeaux bought that aren’t going to arrive for another year.

Dammit! I JUST got on the Thunderbird list this year…now I can’t buy it??? That’s messed up.

Tom or the mods should modify/remove his politically-charged post. This was a PSA, not an invitation to violate forum rules.

Wow hope my MacDonald 3 pack gets here before they build “the wall”. My upstate wine stores have little to choose from, guess I have to give up my Kosta’s and Hobbs for " Black Boxs " !!!

While it’s not news to most here, I thought it was noteworthy that Asimov devoted his latest column to the increasingly difficult business of selling wine across state lines:

Merging with previous thread.

tell that to the Premier Cru bankruptcy trustee.

This is a retail not winery issue.

Bankruptcy is a formalized process of contract abrogation, in order to generate recoveries for creditors, ideally prioritized by security liens and creditor seniority. In the PC case, customers with fully paid but unshipped wines essentially became junior, unsecured creditors—behind employees, tax collectors, vendors, and lawyers. Oh, to compound injury, they were also subject to clawbacks of fully paid and shipped wines.

Amazing and ridiculous: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/dining/drinks/interstate-wine-sales-shipping-laws.html

“In the last year or so, carriers like United Parcel Service and FedEx have told retailers that they will no longer accept out-of-state shipments of alcoholic beverages unless they are bound for one of 14 states (along with Washington, D.C.) that explicitly permit such interstate commerce.”

“Where Buying Wine From Out of State Is Still Permitted
Alaska
California
Idaho
Louisiana
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Dakota
Oregon
Virginia
Washington, D.C.
West Virginia
Wyoming”

This has already been covered extensively in a previous thread:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=145355&p=2373291#p2373291

I did a search prior to posting and found nothing. When I click on the link you provide, I get “I am not authorised to view this” message???

I just got a 3-case delivery from DC via fed ex