Some Wineries Get It...and Others Are Clueless....

Customer relations, that is.
It never ceases to amaze me how some wineries do it right. Last week was a good example.
We’d tasted the new TablasCreek wines and my group really liked them. Had orders for 5 cs worth, some of which were rather limited allocations. I e-mailed Darren to see if my limits could be stretched a bit. Within 15 min, I got a reply from JasonHaas that he knew some people in high places at TCV who could probably help me out!!
That same day, I got in the mail a nice postcard from SamBilbro/Idlewild that crush was complete and the fires were out & he was doing some stocktaking and just wanted to thank my group for their support over the yrs. Just out of the blue.
Folks like these two; Carlisle/Ridge/Ryme/LimerickLane/Marietta/EdmundsStJohn/Lagier-Meredith/Forlorn-Hope…there are others…all know that that little touch can make a difference. Just BasicMarketing101.

It never ceases to amaze me how some wineries don’t get it. I few weeks ago, I had a WashState Syrah that really impressed me. I sent the owner/winemaker my grandoise TN and my compliments on how good a Syrah it was. I was going to order some of his other wines to try. His response…nada. Needless to say…I wrote this wnry off. Same story a few months before w/ a new wnry whose wine I rather liked. Again no response.

I do try to cut some of these wineries some slack. Sometimes it’s some low-level office functionary who intercepts all incoming e-mails and doesn’t bother to knock them upstairs. I can understand. But the owner should make it clear to them that when someone reaches out to them, they should do more than just add the e-mail to the mailing list.

Tom

Tom, I have been telling my young associates for years that you may be the best at what you do, but people aren’t going to like/pay for your services if your customer service stinks. Just like wineries, some get it, some don’t and probably never will.

Who’s Darren?

You ever think you might have caught these people at times when they are taking vacations or on the road pushing product? Perhaps they don’t recognize the Midas-like touch one of your complimentary missives can ignite in the online world of wine?! neener

Darren is the TCV National Marketing Director. The guy I usually deal with and always send my TN’s to. He was out that week, so
Jason responded.
What’s this?? Winemakers taking vacations?? Never heard of it!! [snort.gif]
I think you overestimate the brightness of my star in the wine firmament, Markus. Parker moves wines…I move neutrons!! [snort.gif]
Tom

Nice note, Tom, and I agree.

Do you mind sharing when WA Syrah it was you liked so much?

I don’t want to criticize Aryn and Josh, but I really liked their Syrah. I’ve asked my friend who
brought it to pick up some other of their wines to try when he’s back in WallaWalla.

Which brings up the story of AdamTolmach/OjaiVnyd. When I first started trying his Syrahs, after the great '82, I would always
send him a copy of my TN’s. No response. This went on for 4-5 yrs. Finally, I got a postcard that simply said “Thanks for all your notes”.
And it wasn’t until another 3-4 yrs that I actually met Adam in RealSpace. But I liked his wines so much I was a persistent rabble-rouser.
Now we’re the best of friends.
Tom

Tom, has it occurred to you that when you send an unsolicited tasting note, the winemaker might think you are angling for a free gift of wine?

Also, if the note was in the same format as the notes you post here, then might the winemaker be forgiven for wondering if the sender wasn’t mentally challenged? :slight_smile:

And, I believe, until you have a lot more information, you should cut them more. There are so many potentially legitimate reasons for you receiving no reply. Your compliments seem well placed, but your criticism seems to lack insight/bit of perspective.

Usually, Martin, when I reach out to a new wnry like this, I ask a specific question to give the winemaker an opening
to respond, rather than just a “thank you”. In this case, I asked about the use of whole-cluster in this Syrah.
Most winemakers love to talk about their wines. But some don’t. Some are too busy making wine. Some are on vacation after harvest.
Some have just dealt w/ the wnry dog dying. All sorts of reasons. I just sent it thru the wnry’s WebSite e-mail. Maybe they just
don’t bother to read that. But if a wnry bothers to set up on their WebSite a means of communication, I sorta assume they’re
interested in communicating. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe they (it was addressed to both by name) did just think I was some sort
of crazy, with my long/boring TN’s, angling for free wine.
I liked the wine so much I will try their other wines again. The guy who brought it goes up there frequently and has
promised to bring some of their others back. Is that cutting them enough slack?? Or should a send them another e-mail?
Tom

I can say I have never even thought to send a winemaker or producer a tasting note. But I have sent them thank you emails or inquiry emails and pretty much always get a response.

Maybe they just don’t agree with your assessment of their wines.

You sound like a petulant little brat. I drink someone’s wine because I like his/her wine, not because they thank me for emailing them.

Angling for a customer service position at one of those wineries?

A bit over the top with the name calling, dontcha think?

I reported it and the mods closed the case so calling someone a petulant little brat is A OK with Todd and the mods!

I do not know if you are a brat, but you look too young to be drinking and balancing on one foot on that trestle curb. Some one needs to call your mom.

It’s OK if Scott regards me as a spoiled little brat. I can see how he could make that interpretation of my post.
When I send somebody complimenting them on a wine, I don’t expect a thank you. Most winemakers
appreciate knowing how their wines are perceived out there in the marketplace. Winemakers by their very
nature learn to have thick skins.

When some stranger reaches out to a winemaker, most winemakers recognize it has an opportunity to make
a personal contact with a potential customer. Some winemakers are so interested in interacting w/ other
winos, they do it for pure pleasure…w/ no expectation of that person becoming a customer.
That’s why I buy all I can from the Bilbros. They all have that personal touch and it always helps that
they make danged good wines.

So, Scott…you are free to label me as a spoiled little brat. I won’t tell you what my teenage daughter
used to call me…this is a G-rated family forum.

Tom

Tom, I`ve experienced many situations like the ones you reference here where the communication is poor or nil and in almost every instance I can recall it has been a matter of the winemaker being just that and not a businessman/ marketer/ communicator. I find this to be true in many professions/ occupations were people are trained and educated to perform a certain role or task, but do not learn how to conduct and run a business.

Your mention of Adam Tolmach is a perfect example. Ive known Adam since the early 80s and love the guy. Hes not real outward or overly friendly upon first intro, but he has a heart of gold and an aptitude for making fine wine which is the most important aspect of who he is [other than being a great husband/ father and biodynamic land owner]. I used to tell him he charged way too much for his incredible wines and after many years and finally getting a marketer in the fold, he started to raise the prices, but ever so gently.

Yup, Blake…that’s the Adam we all know & love. BobLindquist (who’s no marketing genuis himself…but really knows
how to make wine), refers to Adam as an “anti-marketer”. It fits.
Tom

Technically, he didn’t call him a brat. He just said he sounded like a brat. [wow.gif]

And I forgot to name Bob, who is a good friend, in the same context as Adam. Interestingly, they have worked under the same roof. The other half [Jim] is a polar opposite and has more than made up for their ineptness.