We Lost Two: SethKunin & RonRawlinson

We lost two of our own last weekend:
SethKunin died of a heart attack in his sleep. I first met him when he was working at the WineCask. When I walked in, he came up & introduced himself and we became fast friends immediately. Walked out w/ more wine than I should have. He then opened a restaurant there in SantaBarbara that was very good that I ate at several times. He then started KuninWines. Very good/well-made/solid wines. A tireless promoter of SBC wines. I would see him at tasting events and he’d always recognize me and have a few good words for me.

RonRawlinson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after shooting his girlfriend in SLO. Really quite a tragedy for two families.
SLOTribune
KSBY
I first met Ron at his wine shop some 25 yrs ago down near the Amtrack station in SLO. Again walked out w/ more wines than I should. These guys always know an easy mark. He was known as Ron: The Wine Guy. In fact, I still have one of his WineGuy hats. I would see him frequently at various wine events, particularly when he would somm at HdR. Very friendly guy whom I liked quite a lot.

All pretty sad.
Tom

Very sorry for your losses, Tom.

Best regards,

Hal

Really, really sad to hear about Seth - a really good guy - RIP

I am absolutely dumbfounded in shocked about both of these losses to our wine community. I admit Ron about a decade ago at a hospice du Rhone event and enjoyed seeing him from time to time during the next 10 years. He always had a huge smile on his face and his enthusiasm was infectious.

I met Seth when I moved to the area about a dozen years ago. I was always amazed at the number of folks he would hang out with in our wine business - somms, winemakers and distributors from both near and far. His love of wine and quest for knowledge or a parent from the moment you met him the first time, and his warm smile and chuckle and willingness to greet you with open arms was infectious as well.

The world is definitely a bit dimmer today because of both of these losses.

I am really sorry to hear about the beautiful woman who was murdered by Ron.

Seth,

I agree - that was horrific and tragic and unexplainable. Hopefully we’ll learn more in the coming weeks, but it is simply tragic all around . . .

[shock.gif]

Seth Kunin always struck me as a genuinely nice guy. We walked into the tasting room when his daughter was still in a baby carrier and ran into him at a few different tastings and events around Southern California. I always liked the wines. Pape Star has a special place in my wine memory book.

RIP

OMG! I had not heard about Ron.

wow rough week for HdR alumni