TN: 2001 Arcadian Syrah Robert O. Fleming Cuvée Garys' Vineyard

This wine is killing tonight. Pinnacle California Syrah. Joe Davis. And cheers to my 'ol buddy Bob Fleming! [cheers.gif]

• 2001 Arcadian Syrah Robert O. Fleming Cuvée Garys’ Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (10/29/2017)
    Meaty. Iron. Blackberry. Long and dark. At first it’s somewhat tight and angular. There’s a bacon-savory element and the back side shows mint that lingers. Still shows a youthful edge, at least it’s not in any way tired. Then…At the one hour mark in the decanter…wow!..fireworks! Explosive black pepper and dark fruit. Balanced layers of acid, blackberry bramble, meat…Savory. Clean, pure dark fruit on a palate that shows pepper and meat and earth and blood… Hot damn…Fabulous! Kudos, Joe!

Posted from CellarTracker

[cheers.gif]

What’s the story behind Robert getting involved here?

If I told you 'bout all that went down, it’d burn off both your little ears [basic-smile.gif]
(nod to Robert Hunter, for the uninitiated)

But really…what’s the Deal?

I think Joe told me he was an early investor (?) and had opinions about Syrah and got his name on a cuvée label. I had one, maybe the ‘01, visiting Joe this summer. Incredibly good wine, just as this note suggests. Uncommon wine.

I didn’t really want to air the dirty laundry, but Vincent is right. A good number of early investors from Atlanta. Bob being one.
Glad we agree on the wine, Vincent! Great stuff.

Bob Fleming is often on this site and can share the story. Bob is a partner and a dear friend and was a catalyst in our decision to add Syrah to the portfolio.

Thanks Dennis for the kind words about the 2001 ROF Syrah. I have always loved that wine for its cold climate attributes of black pepper and savory bacon components that in its youth were so prominent. As is has aged those qualities have integrated into the background as a part of a richer more complex palate.