Clos de Tart reportedly sold for 200 Million Euros

The buyer is said to be François Pinault, owner of Latour.

Seems to be confirmed - price not disclosed. This is all very problematic for winelovers who’d like their purchase prices to remain half decent (not even talking about Clos de Tart, which was already very expensive here in Europe)…

Does anyone know the impact this has on inheritance taxes on land in Burgundy?

Yes - it’s confirmed in the French press. Went for eur 220m. Domaine is 7ha so that’s eur 30m per hectare. Cheap as chips.

This is not Pinault’s first Burgundy purchase. He bought Engel a few years ago.

That’s nuts

I thought it was grapes. [scratch.gif]

Seems high. Maybe that’s for a magnum.

$14 million+ an acre sounds reasonable. (Just joking.) What does the top Napa vineyard land go for now? (I believe Coppola shattered records back in the day when he bought Niebaum for $350-450k an acre.)

There also is the issue of scale - all of the Cotes de Nuits GC vineyards together probably fit within 1 good-sized California vineyard. And then there is also the luxury/Veblen goods issue - an Hermes saddle now costs $8k. Plus with wine, you don’t even need to know quality - you can just chase points and/or labels… Kudos to Pinault in a sense for exploiting this all the way to making himself a billionaire.

I can’t even afford Pop de Tarts when I want them.

Not many great Monopole vineyards are available…what would La Tache, La Romanee, Cros Parantoux or Romanee Conti sell for??? Seems like a deal. Now marketing needs to bring awareness to LT and RC levels.

I believe DRC would easily go for $2 billion.

62 acres +/- for all holdings, at $33 million per acre. In fact, I believe that would be just the opening bid.

I started a gofundme page.

[rofl.gif]

Wouldn’t be surprised if they decided to merge the clos de Tart Domaine with the Domaine d’Eugenie they already own to create something like DRC (a high profile monopole grand cru acting as brand umbrella) as branding on d’eugenie never really caught on despite the quality terroirs.