Wines of Domaine Dublere

Went to a wonderful tasting last night featuring the wines of Domaine Dublere with Blair Pethel leading the tasting. As I meet more and more winemakers and winery owners (or as Blair would say, farmers) over the years, I am impressed at what really nice and generous people so many of them are. But, even in this company, Blair really stands out. He is just a really nice and down to earth person. But, he is also a thoughtful person and when you ask him a serious wine question you get a serious and thought out answer. So, it was great to see Blair last night and to get to talk with him again.

But, as much as I like talking with Blair, I guess I like drinking his wines even more. His wines are very understated and pure. No window dressing (like no new oak) so the wines not as showy as wines from other producers and do not necessarily show as great in large tastings when you take a sip or two and go from wine to wine. But, take a bottle and open it with dinner and drink just it over time and the purity and beauty of the wines come alive.

We had mostly 2013s last night, with a couple of other wines. The first wine with passed around appetizers was a white Savigny les Beaune Aux Vergelesses. This was a relatively rich wine with beautiful flavors but not necessarily as elegant as the wines to come. With our first course, we had a NSGs Terre Blanches Blanc, a Chablis Valmur and a CM Chenevottes (all 2013s). All three of the wines were quite nice and very elegant, but the star was the Chenvottes. It seemed richer, more elegant and longer than the others. Fabulous wine.

Moving to the reds, we had a 2014 SLB les Planchots du Nord, which was really nice, but not as goods as the premier crus to come. Then we had two more 2013s, a MSD Blanchards and Volnay Taillepieds and a 2012 NSG Bousselots. The Taillepieds was very pure and still primary, the Blanchards was just fabulous and the Bousselots was richer and plumier as a NSG should be. All fabulous wines, each different from the other. My favorite was the Blanchards (I love Volnay, but I love MSD even more), but my wife’s favorite was the Volnay and the favorite of a friend sitting next to me was the NSG. I think this makes sense as the wines probably were pretty comparable in quality, the differences reflecting the terroir differences and which style you like better. Of course, answers could change in 10 years if we retasted these wines.

All in all, a great evening. Thanks Blair.

Glad the evening went so well, Howard. As you know, I am also a big fan of Blair and his wines and have had the privilege of visiting with him twice. It is always a highlight of my trips to Burgundy now. His 14 Valmur and CC were both outstanding and all the other wines I tasted last spring were of excellent quality.

Sante,

Mike

I was hoping to make the NYC tasting but dates didn’t work for me. Glad you enjoyed!

Mike, I do remember that. It is a shame that your trip here did not coincide with his trip here. It has been quite a couple of weeks around these parts - first the tasting with you, then Panos’ Pichon Lalande vertical and last night Blair. grouphug Great month (through in a couple of home wine dinners as well), but I am not sure I could handle this many large tastings every month.

Anybody know if these come to the West Coast? I don’t recall seeing them.

Any thoughts on whether to try 08 volnays vs 09 now?

Envoyer has carried the wines in the past

Someone left an 09 Pitures at my home and I drank it about a month ago. My recollection was that it was primary, but very good. I have no experience with any Dublere 2008s. If you have a number of bottles, it would be worth opening a 2009 to check in.

The 08s are lovely. 09s much denser. I prefer the 08s. Don’t expect a big wine.

thanks, Maureen. Don’t actually like a big wine anymore.

I am the same, the 08s are drinking nicely. Not as much of a fan of the 09s, but still a solid wine.

Was Schneiders involved in the tasting? They have carried Dublere for as long as I remember. I buy the Savigny Planchots du nord village wine for a daily drinker but have limited experienced with aged examples of the 1ers.

Yes. Schneiders was involved.