Amazon to stop on line sales of wine.

Not sure they were ever a huge player.

For the third time, Amazon has announced that it is abandoning its online retail wine sales program. Tied-house laws are at the root of its latest roadblock, stemming from the retail and technology giant’s recent acquisition of the Whole Foods Market grocery-store franchise. Amazon Wine operations will cease at the end of the year, but the company will still have avenues through which wine may be sold. Get the details on this breaking story, and find out why wine sales have been so elusive for Amazon over the past two decades.

http://portal.criticalimpact.com/vm2/e8474c8f4752e165/25682/1f2b76b26615f4f309e5cb74f1f037a9

The Wholefoods purchase provides all the local avenues they may need for wine distribution with local delivery.

Maybe in some states Chris. Can’t buy alcohol in a grocery store in MD. As Andrew said, probably a pretty small player, with wine likely a tiny % of Amazon’s sales.

Wine buying laws in North America are ass stupid. Absolutely no reason I shouldn’t be able to get anything online that I ever wanted. In that unicorn filled world, my.collection would never have closed ever as I acquired treasures from all over the world.

Actually, in my MD county, Prince Georges, some grocery stores can.

True, but it is still a state by state issue, sometimes a county by county issue.