What is your best low-rated or non-rated wine, this year?

[cheers.gif]

1993 Judd’s Hill Cabernet Sauvignon.

2005 B.V. Georges de Latour. WS84 and drinking beautifully right now.

Red: 2003 Nervi Gattinara ($23)
White: 2000 Thunder Mountain Chardonnay Beauregard Ranch ($25)

1995 Chateau Musar Rosé - Just an epic wine…and totally different from my first experience with it in June last year. (Somewhere around $55 I think)

Thunder Mountain, now that’s one from the past. Milan was a good guy. He held court several times at offlines in conjunction with Hospice du Rhone and recommended decanting his chards.

I had read that Thunder mountain reds were drinking well so when I saw a bottle of his chard on Winebid, I jumped at the chance to try it since I love aged Cali Chards. It was quite beautiful, with carmelized meyer lemon, nuts, white florals and furniture polish. It remained delicious over two nights so I can imagine that decanting it when it was younger would have been a good thing. ABV of 14.9% but wine carried it effortlessly.

Wish I could find more…

Do critics even bother to post any score under 88 anymore? It’s rare to see even a 90, unless it’s an inexpensive wine where that score would be worth bragging about.

Perhaps the two best wines I’ve had this year weren’t rated by any critic that I’m aware of:

1998 Clos Roche Blanche Côt
2000 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon

I gave each 96 points on my “what number jumps to mind” admittedly imprecise and almost certainly non-reproduceable rating system, the highest rating I think I’ve given this year.

2013 Briceland Vineyards Pinot Noir Phelps Vineyard—drank over 8 nights, used Coravin, remarkable depth, great balance and acidity.

I had an older Spanna in the early summer that was just terrific…

Hi Robert,

I am glad you enjoyed that one. Thanks for posting.

As usual, I am almost out of that about the time is starts to drink nicely.

I guess I should put aside a case or two for myself. [cheers.gif]

he was a good guy. The wines were dumped at fire sale prices after his untimely death. Love the label.

2001 Hubert Lignier MSD 1er Cru VV, 90 pointers by some pros but easily one of the best 1er in a long long time. I am willling to pitch it against any 1er Cru, Amoureuses and CSJ included.

For Bordeaux, it would be 2012 Chateau Peyrabon, about US$12 a bottle but as good as many 5x its price.

1988 Columbia Crest Grand Estate Merlot

True of a lot of pre-2002 CA Cabs. Especially from the mid 90s and back. Just picked up some 96/99 Arrowwood for a pittance. The older mid 90s & back Mondavi Reserves are excellent and reasonably priced for what they offer.

2006 Economou Liatiko from Crete. Fascinating stuff that combines aspects of Piedmont, Burgundy, and Ribera del Duero.

Clos Pegase Cabernet Sauvignon 1994, just $190 for a full case, was a very recent WineHunter prey.
The wine rating was not so low or non-existent, but unappealing to point-chasers.

Renaissance cabs and cab blends. Any of them!

I posted this in another thread, but this non-rated wine is the best American wine that I’ve had this year (and it’s not even close):

The palate showed cool black fruit, graphite, green tobacco, oregano and violets. The palate is at once concentrated and restrained. Medium bodied and light on the tongue with fine-grained tannins and good acidity. Well balanced with a long cool menthol finish. This will continue to improve for another 10 years and has the structure to drink well 25 years from vintage.

This bears a strong resemblance to the 1986 La Mission Haut Brion. How can a 100% Petit Verdot from Humboldt County be so similar to a First Growth quality Bordeaux (that doesn’t contain PV)? Yet this Wine is also quite unique. Genuinely mind-blowing. 12 cases made from Organic grapes. 13.4%ABV. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m glad you liked it Rob, but you need to stop drinking out of a thimble.

Glad to hear; I bought a bunch of them and will pop my first this weekend.