TN: 2015 Domaine Arlaud (Vin Vino Wine)

2015 DOMAINE ARLAUD (VIN VINO WINE) - Vin Vino Wine, Palo Alto, CA (10/13/2017)

The super-hyped 2015 Red Burgundy vintage is upon us, and wines are starting to arrive in force. Domaine (Cyprien) Aurlaud has become one of my favorites and I was especially eager to sample this lineup.

• 2015 Domaine Arlaud Gevrey-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    Violets and dark spices on the nose. Big, round fruit on the palate, with black cherry and tannin. Very open now. (90 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Arlaud Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny
    Aromas of Asian spice and pomegranate. On the palate, a lacy and silky texture with raspberry notes. Low in tannin. (89 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Arlaud Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Aux Cheseaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru
    Big nose of complex, mustard-driven spices. Then in the mouth, deep, dark black raspberry fruit with incredible balance. A superb performer, and outclasses the Ruchots in this vintage. (93 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Arlaud Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Ruchots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru
    On the nose, dark, plummy, and spicy. Then an attack of lively candy apple with a touch of prune, and lots of dry extract. But this seemed to have a bit of reduction and/or cork taint that made it difficult to judge in the end, so I hesitate to rate it. Which is unfortunate since this bottling has been a favorite of mine in previous years. Taste before you buy!
  • 2015 Domaine Arlaud Vosne-Romanée Aux Réas - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée
    Begins with an intriguing bouquet of chocolate mustard and dried apricot. The palate continues with milk chocolate and a melange of other spices, culminating in a long finish. Overperforms. (92 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Arlaud Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Aux Combottes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
    This Arlaud continues the mustard theme on the nose, intermixed with notes of dark chocolate. Then you’ll taste semi-bitter dark chocolate and black raspberry, with a medium finish. The fine tannin gives this wine a spectacularly full and silky texture. (93 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Arlaud Charmes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Starts with an absolutely glorious bouquet of potpourri. Take a sip and welcome a piercing army of regal fruit with no letup until the medium-long finish lets you go. Touch of cocoa. (94 pts.)

I was extremely happy with the wines, with the odd exception of the Ruchots, which is usually my favorite but this time had issues. As promised this looks to be a spectacular vintage, the best of 2005 and 2009 in one…?
Posted from CellarTracker

I was hoping someone would write about Arlaud’s 2015s soon. Thanks! Have you - or anyone else - had the Roncevie? My expectations for it are relatively high.

I’ve been pondering many of these but can’t seem to be able to land on any particular one. Thanks for the notes.

Thanks for these notes, a producer that I have been building on my holdings since 2012 vintage. I usually just go for Aux Combottes, CdlR and CSD. The CSD is notoriously hard to find.

I tasted some of the same wines (just the Ruchots, Vosne, and Combottes). Also a fan of Arlaud (Ruchots often my favorite in most vintages, at least of the affordable wines). I think Nick and I have slightly different preferences, he’s a fan of bigger, richer wines, while I tend toward more reserve, at least in Burgundy. I liked the wines, but honestly they came across as something a really good California producer could make in a perfect year. That’s not a bad thing, just a way of looking at the vintage. I think in the best Burgundy vintages, California cannot make those wines.

I know from Nick’s notes and stated preferences that he enjoys ripe vintage Burgundy more than I do, and I expect that he has described these wines very well. When I read big, round fruit, prune, chocolate and cocoa, I am fairly certain that I would share Alan’s impressions.

It’s hard to mistake these for California Pinot, and that’s why I consider ripe Burgundy vintages such gems. They have power and complexity yet lack the clumsy heft you very often find in RRV and similar locations. (Although I do love SLH because that heft seems to work with its much darker flavor profile instead of against it.)

(BTW VVW is likely closing next year. Damn!)