TN: 2014 Cristom Pinot Noir Louise Vineyard

• 2014 Cristom Pinot Noir Louise Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (10/22/2017)
    Decanted 6 hrs. Safely continues the hot streak Crisom has had in 2014, having the Eileen, the Jessie, and now this terrific Eileen. Over the stop aromatics, and I mean that in the best possible way. Producer specific aromatics of Sassafras, spicy blackberry, slight note of cured meat, and on and on. More lush and fruit forward than the Eileen and Jesse but absolutely not lack of structure even though the acidty is lower than one might expect if your not familiar with the house style. Seamless use of whole cluster. Absolutely worth drinking now but has decades ahead and a track record to prove. Steve Doerner and crew just killed this vintage. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

I am glad to read your notes and thank you for posting. It reminds me that I have a mixed case of '02’s (Eileen, Jesse’s, and Louise) and it about time I stop waiting for that “right occasion” and just start enjoying them. I can think of only three Oregon pinot producers who’s top bottlings I will not drink young; Eyrie, Brickhouse, and Cristom. Cameron ought to be in there too, but I have opened young Clos Electrique out of curiosity.

Hey, I’ll take a young Cristom for the team anytime anywhere :slight_smile: - And to your point, I can totally understand not touching an Eyrie young, Brick House maybe if I’m feeling lucky, but generally agree with you, but never touch a Cristom young? This one surprises me a little as one of the reasons I keep buying the darn things is I know I can pop a cork in the first few years and feel I’m getting my full $55 worth. Sure, they develop, but there has always been a fowardness that rewards early drinking. A big exception were the 2010’s which were in no mind to play shortly after release, but should be in great position to age gracefully.

• 2014 Cristom Pinot Noir Louise Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (11/29/2023)
    P&P with about 25 min of airtime in the glass before pouncing. Aromas comprise mostly of Sassafras along with root vegetables and some sweet baking type spices. Good showing, I think the Louise vineyard is the lowest in elevation amongst the ‘ladies’ aka the other Cristom single vineyards, and the earliest to mature. Seems about right, with the dark spice laden fruit fully woven into the wines nooks and crannies - very clean, with good closing bite on the finish. No danger of falling off a cliff, but it’s ready. (93 points)