Which of the two major US regions does Pinto Noir Best?

Which of the two major US regions does Pinto Noir Best?

• 1. CA PN
  • 2. Oregon PN
  • 3. I love them both exactly equally
  • 4. I only drink Burgundy, period
  • 5. I’ll only discuss best producers
  • 6. I’ll only discuss sub regions & AVAs like the Sonoma Coast vs Parrot Mt.
  • 7. Majorly flawed you left off NY state or some other minor region

0 voters

Just wanting to see the general consensus on CA vs Oregon PN? I’m leaning Oregon for my next favorite region after Burgundy which is way out in the lead for me for best global region for PN.

I know, Sonoma Coast vs. Russian River vs. Santa Cruz Mts VS. Dundee Hills matters but, I want to keep this simple. Oregon vs CA.

Flawed poll. Ford does the best Pinto :slight_smile:

Oregon PN hands down for me. I own twice as much Oregon PN as I do CA PN.

I’m an Oregon idiot, who are some of the better consistent producers to look out for?

Andy --my tastes skew somewhat lean and I buy Evesham Wood, Arterberry Maresh and Kelley Fox with regularity. A smattering of Goodfellow/Matello in there too.

KatrinaBI wrote:
Flawed poll. Ford does the best Pinto > :slight_smile:

Well done, Katrina! And thank you for the Oregon recommendations.

Thanks,
Ed

Beat me to it! by a mere 4hrs

Best Pinto? The beans of course.

Anyway, forgetting the fun with typos part of the show, I am interested in the region+producer aspect. Even getting down into AVAs is too broad.

Wind Gap Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir is one that really works for me. Just to give an example.

CA versus OR is way too broad.

Dam, I can’t post anything typo free :slight_smile: I need my own editor…

Damn! :wink:

Love Arterberry Maresh & Kelley Fox for the same reasons. Also Thomas. Especially like the off vintages in Oregon.2011 Arterberry Maresh Maresh Vineyard was crazy good.

Ok, I hate to admit this but the only F I ever got was in spelling. I do need an editor.

I disagree. Ford made the worst Pinto.

If you’re looking for subtle, leaner Pinots, I would look to Oregon. If you’re looking for the most explosive Pinto, that would be Ford.

IMO, have to talk specific producers. My favorite is Littorai. But I’ve been very impressed with Oregon and plan to explore the region further.

ngtALzDAIcU

Haven’t tried Thomas – need to rectify that – but agree with all the above. Only problem is my cellar seems to have a hole in it where OR pinot is concerned. I keep buying it and it keeps disappearing. Looks like I still have a couple of that 2011 Arterberry Maresh Maresh though (how’s that for self-control).

Flawed poll. Why was the top bean producing state, North Dakota, not included? Must be in any discussion about pintos.
I haven’t voted yet but leaning towards option 3. I’m buying Oregon Pinot these days, but am still respect and enjoy top California ones.

I prefer leaner so thanks!

Is “subtle and leaner” code talk for flavorless? Because the Oregon Pinots I have had taste like watered down Burgundy and give Ontario Pinot a run for their money in the flavorless department. I think this is a troll thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

California all the way. Littorai, Kutch, Siduri, Ferrari-Carano, Calera, Fel, Twomey, Dierberg… I could go on and on and on.

Thread reminds me of my first ever offline Mr. Grammar brought me to now 7 years ago which I posted about on the board (wow time flies). It was a Cali vs Oregon vs Burgundy Judgment of Pinot theme and I knew nothing about nothing back then – I didn’t even know what I didn’t know – and I could still tell that Burgundy and Cali had far more finesse and flavor. Nothing I have ever had since then has changed my mind. If anything, I appreciate Burgundy and Cali Pinot even more now.

I still think Pinto does Syrah and Riesling best. [highfive.gif]