TNs--Mike on Tour--Oct 19--Dinner at Amali

This time it was Mike Levin who answered the call. The confederation of Mikes was further bolstered by his friend Mike. My friend Glenn was able to again make it for this dinner, along with Mike L’s wife, Lizzie and Erez Lencnar, who I was happy to see again.

Food here was yummy and well-suited to family style sharing. Yet another night with many laughs and lots of conversation–particularly in my case a great discussion about education system and values here with Lizzie, who is herself a teacher.

2009 Jacquesson Terres Rouges Extra Brut Rose

Nuzzie needs some coaxing, unripe strawberry with a bit of toast in back. Very crisp and bracing, young for sure, good mousse, picks up some red fruit flavour with some air time, but needs time in bottle.

2010 Michel Lafarge Meursault

Dash of sweet corn on the aromatics. A little gunflint, though minor. That trace of sweetness on palate which I have had with many 10 whites. Mike L. says mint—yeah, I can see that—but it does have fair balance and carry in the mouth. Very good with the sea bass.

2003 Vina Tondonia Reserva Bianco

I wanted to bring this on Glenn’s behalf since I know he hasn’t tasted anything like it and wasn’t sure if the others had either. Yup. Nutty-sherry, but only a bit to the grapefruit and apple mains. While this is smooth enough and does have mustardy spice and some saline and lemon, it is still very unformed, of course. 10 years would be a fair keep estimate, I think.

2010 F.X. Pichler Durnsteiner Liebenberg Gruner Veltliner

Good sniffs—slightly sweet herb and some lime with other unripe white fruit. Acacia maybe in back. Whoa! That is crazy-sweet. Like Gruner Auslese or something! It has length and creaminess but is a lime-and-pear gelato, even missing acid. I’m sure this is true to the style for what this is, it’s just very unexpected and perplexing

1989 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses

Old leather, wood varnish and nutmeg swirl up out of the glass. Lovely. Polished dirty—small berry, earth, touch of funk, but phased and shaped so prettily. I mind me of how an old Bordeaux or old Burgundy can capture your heart with what it’s become. So here, I think. WOTN

1989 Catherine & Pierre Breton Bourgeuil Les Perrieres

Quite different, bit of stinky-nose, in a fun way, and also some spice and capsicum. Different, it has character, but sharp and raspberry-plus….I suspect a little VA here with currant aftertones.

Really nice small group, loved meeting the Mikes and Mike L’s wife Lizzie, and was great to see Erez again.

Skal,

Mike