decanting advice. two WOTYs..

a birthday dinner at a BYOB restaurant.

2002 Insignia and 2001 Tenuta Nuova. I just stood them upright for a 48 hour pause. I will be double decanting to take to restaurant.

I’ve had the Insignia a couple of times i probably didnt air enough either time though (of course still awesome even on pop and pour). I have no experience with the Casa di Neri. Is one hour air then back in bottle… 2 hours? 3?

Also i’ve never had the Casa anybody have guidance for me is it old world subtle or new world bold-ish? Just asking trying to think about what dishes to pair with.

thanks!

The Tenuta Nuova is their modern Brunello, aged in new barriques (their regular white label Brunello is aged in botte only).

But it’s a very good wine too - that is to say, it’s not modern in the sense of using oak to mask mediocrity or soullessness. With age, the oak gets integrated pretty well.

I don’t really know the decant - I don’t think it needs a long one, though it would probably hold up well if you did. I’d probably do an hour or so and let it develop in the glass.

One important question - how many are at the dinner? If there are many and everyone just gets a small pour, then I’d decant longer. If there are few and you can experience it over the dinner, I’d do more like what I first suggested.

so both got 4 hours of decant then back in the bottle to go to the restaurant. each bottle got about 90 minutes of drinking time. I was disappointed in the Insignia as compared to my other experiences with it. this was my last bottle. if Insignia drinks like that now, i’m glad i have no more.

the Brunello was awesome. Definitely new-world-ish i really didnt pick up any oak. Someone at the table said they were disappointed it didnt have any oak or mustiness that they look forward to in european wines. I loved it.

You might have done more harm than help with the Insignia. We opened one for our anniversary two weeks ago. Not decanted, but cork pulled and given an hour of air and some poured into each glass. over the next 2 hours, it was simply amazing. Happy to have 4 more and a Mag hiding in the cellar.