Volnay vs Pommard

Volnay vs Pommard
Sept 2017 @Scopri Restaurant

Champagne
Krug Grand Cuvee MV 163
Non-oxidate style now. Tight. Slight sulphur influence. Blew off in the glass. Good acid, intense and crisp.

Whites
2014 Thomas Morey Chassagne Montrachet 1er cru “Les Chenovottes” 1
2015 Thomas Morey Chassagne Montrachet 1er cru “Les Chenovottes” 2

2014 was gorgeous. Intense, Chalky and focussed. The 2015 was more floral, slightly diffuse and touch ‘sweet’. 2014 was the preferred wine.

Reds Bracket #1
2012 Marquis d’Angerville Volnay 1er Cru “Les Caillererts” 4
2012 Joseph Voillot Volnay 1er Cru “Les Champans” 1
2012 Joseph Voillot Pommard 1er Cru “Les Rugiens” 3
2012 Parigot Pommard 1er Cru “Les Charmots” 5 NR
2012 Parigot Pommard 1er Cru “Les Epenots” 2

There was something not quite right with the Charmots. Not good bottle. The d’Angerville was slightly tougher wine. More structured and less giving. The Champans was super sexy. Very floral, sensual and supple. Typical Volnay. The Pommards as a group dd not any significant austerity or “four square” character. The tannins were nice and rounded and they were drinking quite well. Really impressive set of wines.

Reds Bracket #2
2013 Joseph Voillot Volnay 1er Cru “Les Champans” 4
2013 Comte Lafon Volnay 1er Cru “Santenots-du-Milieu” 2
2013 Joseph Voillot Volnay 1er Cru “Les Brouillards” 5
2013 Joseph Voillot Pommard 1er Cru “Les Rugiens” 3
2013 Joseph Voillot Pommard 1er Cru “Les Pezerolles” 1

The 2013 had more redder fruit but more acid drive compared to the 2012. Very fresh and zippy. The Voillots had their typical Voillot signature. Medium bodied and elegant style without any overt oak influence. The Lafon looked different in style but every bit as good. Trying to pick the Pommards vs Volnay was not easy. None of us got them entirely correct

Sanjay, I take it from your last comment that this was a blind tasting t least for the reds. Love the choice for comparison. Seems to me the vintages made it tougher to guess. Thanks for the review.

ALL wines are tasted blind incl of Champagne, Whites and Vintage port(s).

The nominated organiser of the tasting usually put up the Champagne, Whites and Vintage port(s) from his own cellar so others have no clue what so ever. For the remainder each one only knows their own wine they put up but they are again remasked so they would not know where they are in any bracket ( unless you get to the last bracket and your wine has not showed so far). At times we get the wait staff to mask and put them in a random order so the organiser also does not know the line up until unmasked.

I like the arrangement. It`s conducive for a good test of ID. Thanks for the clarification Sanjay.

nice tasting, Sanjay, although would have been nice to have a flight of 93’s or 96’s. A bit hard to compare when the wines are younger. I’m a hard core Volnay lover, but if the Pommards have enough age, who knows. they aren’t far from each other.

Yes an older Pommard flight would have been useful. We could have then evaluated the older Pommards with resolved tannins.