Awesome new Apothic!

Now even more awesome, as it comes aged in charred whiskey barrels! Micro production, I’m sure.

Bruce
Apothic.jpg

This seems to be a popular new category: Has anyone tried Cooper & Thief's red blend? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Parker gives it a 100

But only after they paid $800 for the Benchmarking. :stuck_out_tongue:

Caymus must be quaking in its staves.

This is actually how Lodi Flame Tokay, a fortified wine, was traditionally made - whiskey barrels would always ship with some whisky still in the barrel to prevent the staves from drying out. They’d pitch partially fermented flame tokay juice into the barrels and the whiskey would fortify the wine.

I’ve had that. Tastes like a red blend mixed 50/50 with vanilla extract. No oak flavor - just vanilla and alcohol. Not a fan.

Now we know what caused the California wildfires…

Nah, just because of a surplus of whiskey barrels …

So I shouldn’t shell out the $28 or something it costs near me just out of morbid curiosity?

You missed out, futures were $4.99;-)

Agree. I’m seeing more and more of these types of wines showing up in stores. Pretty smart marketing when you think about it. Capitalize on the current market’s like of this kind of stuff and I’m sure they sell a ton of it at a pretty good margin.

Are there non-charred whiskey barrels?

That’s like saying used Tequila barrels (not really a ‘new’ Tequila barrel) or assless chaps (otherwise they’re just leather pants).

IIRC, by law they have to be charred.

That was sort of my point.

From what I recall whiskey does too. Granted you could use a #1 char which is technically charred but for some crazy little amount of time. I’m a bit rusty but I think it goes up to a #7 or 8 char. I vaugly recall someone using one of the top chars at one point. How that would translate into wine use I’m not sure. I’d imagine a #6-7 char would mean you wouldn’t want to leave wine in it too long, even for a used one. But a #1 is relatively little charring and perhaps may work better for wine aging???

Yeah, I edited my post after you quoted me, I started thinking about the commercial moonshine products and don’t remember seeing one labeled ‘whiskey’ so I’d imagine you’re on the right path.

Even if you aged spirit in uncharred barrels I wonder how much color you can really pull from the wood.

For wine aging, low-char barrels offer a ton more ‘raw wood’ flavor which is really upfront and obnoxious. More char doesn’t necessarily result in more oak flavor.

As these wines tend to be higher ABV, would you want more of that up front oak to help offset the higher alcohol or would you want less?

With ‘these’ wines I think it’s all about the vanilla and mocha notes, but I doubt they’re using new or high quality barrels. Probably a combination of old, cheap barrels, oak chips/powder and various other flavor/texture enhancing additives.

Yes. And bring it to your monthly brown bag tasting. And post notes from that lawyer friend of yours that got banned from the site. Could be classic.