Your top 3 Napa Cabs in the $150 to $225 range

What are your top 3 Napa Cabernets in the $150 to $225 range (either on release from the winery or 2nd hand market).

1. Maybach Materium
  2. Myriad Elysian
  3. Diamond Creek
  1. Realm Dr. Crane/Houyi/To-Kalon (don’t make me pick!)
  2. Myriad Elysian
  3. Bevan (again, entire range - but especially Harbison and Tin Box)

*MacDonald is my special mention since it is in that range at release, but it doesn’t spend much time at that price point.

This is a great question b/c I think this is the price point where wines can enter that “I can compete with ANYTHING on the market from Napa no matter the price” level. While $150-$225 isn’t cheap by any means, these are wines that can give just as much as Colgin/Harlan/Bryant et al for a fraction of the price.

1. MacDonald
  2. Favia Oakville Cabernet
  3. Mondavi To Kalon

MacDonald
Greer
Maybach Materium

1. Schrader
  2. Continuum
  3. MACDONALD

No particular order.

MacDonald Oakville To-Kalon
Chappellet Pritchard Hill
Paul Hobbs To-Kalon

Curious about such a specific request. Are you writing a blog post or something?

whats the release price on paul hobbs to kalon? i had thought this was much more now.

VHR
Buccella Katy Eye
Melka Jumping Goat

To add some not yet listed, and worthy…

Spottswoode

Les Pavots

Roy Piper (I am saying that somewhat prematurely as I don’t have a long vintage track record, but really well made.)

_

Added thoughts…

Dunn is too cheap for the list!

The single vineyard cabs from Alpha Omega and also their ERA are pretty stinkin’ spectacular, as well.

MacDonald
Spottswoode
Maybach

+1 but depending on vintage VHR would be a great replacement.

VHR
Corra
Roy Piper

Maybach
Kapcsandy
Becklyn
schrader

Bevan
Carter
Myriad

MACDONALD
Schrader
Corra

Carter
Maybach
Continuum

Diamond Creek, great call.

It’s weird. I can remember when they were on the shelves at my local store and not very expensive…making the current prices relatively more painful, for some reason.

I also think I have some 35 dollar sticker priced Spottswoode from the 80’s.

[cheers.gif]

Realm to kalon/dr crane
Maybach
MacDonald