Domaine Gauby Tasting

Had the opportunity to taste the brilliant wines from France’s domaine Gauby. Some of the wines at the tasting were ‘grand crus’ Coume Gineste (white) and Muntada (red). No longer the blockbusters they were a long time ago, but pure, elegant, mineral and finessed wines. Totally unique as well. Anyone else some thoughts on this domaine and the wines?

BIG fan here. We have visited the estate (smell the wild fennel and then taste the wines).
I think the red Vv is one of the world’s great values.

That’s the largest lineup I’ve ever seen of Gauby. I like them, but not as much as your group obviously does!

I first came across Gauby’s wines last spring in London’s Quality Chop House where I ordered a bottle of the 2013 Les Calcinaires and I have to say I was very positively surprised. Not being a very experienced Roussillon drinker I had no idea something so refreshing and deliciously savory is being made there.

I had a 2007 Village Vieilles Vignes two weeks ago in London, and it was excellent, both fruity and savory and well-balanced. Not quite a match for the 2007 Muntanda I had a few months ago, which was superb.

Neat! I’ve only had a couple of Gauby, good stuff. I have had a lot more from nearby Calce producer Padie though which seems a similar style.

I’ve got a few stray bottles of the 06 and 07 muntada. Never tried one before. When’s the right time to start opening them?

They said ten years when we visited.

Just to be clear, they meant 10 years from vintage, not 10 years from when you visited?

Having an 07 right now, it is at peak. Really pretty wine with tremendous focus, on the wayyy lighter side of Rhone.

I have 1 bottle of 07 muntada, one of the two bottles I actually received from PC :rage: