TNs--Mike on Tour--Meeting with the Mod--Oct 15 in NJ with Sherri Shapiro and others, Bistro 73

I am very happy to have now met Sherri and grateful that she was able to organize this OL in New Jersey. Also very gratified to have David Frankil and his wife Allison make the drive and lovely to meet Colleen and Allen Prince as well. Rounding out our party was my good friend John Meany (I have been staying with he and his wife Anne for the last 2 nights).

I chose Coq au Vin for my main and they did do a very solid job, though not quite on a par with Volnaysien in Burgundy. Really relaxed service and rest of food was quite good too.

I let the gang have some leftovers of the 2011 Pape Clement and 1992 Montelana Cab

2014 Walter Scott Ex Novo Chard

Allen and Colleen brought, an Oregon producer I have not tried. Fragrant, with gettable pear and gingerbread. Flavourful and balanced dans la bouche, flowers with pear replays and length as well. Quite prettily sedate, especially for so young.

2015 Broc Cellars Vine Starr Zin

I brought this. Real interesting nose–a cross between chocolate mint and plum pudding. Round–as round as can be–and extraordinarily smooth. Watermelon (!) accents to cherry and plum. I didn’t get any real spiciness, though David did find that here, for me it’d be a dead ringer for a Merlot…but it IS goo-ood. #3 tonight.

2009 Hobel Cab

Treat from David and Allison–I haven’t had anything from here either. Bits of cedar, bits of pine needle, lots of black cherry in the aroma and very composed. Palate, there’s no question what this is. Full and rich and meaty feel with quite sweet plum and black cherry. While not at all killer alcohol and well-made, it is not in my style of Cab. Sturdy though, should hold here for some years, and glad to try a new producer for me.

2014 Antica Terra Botanica Pinot

Takes some time to unlock, but earth and peppercorn show up over blackberry and rhubarb. Tasty, if very young, but already well shaped.

2001 Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino

When Sherri gave me some choices, I asked for some Italian. This was some bring. Pop and pour, fun little scent of walnut paste behind chickoree, currant and raspberry. This is splendid to taste. It just washes through your mouth and has a lovely Christmascake sidebar. Very friendly with my coq au vin as well. Just a study in harmony and effect. WOTN

2010 Paul Jaboulet Petite Chappelle

My contribution on John’s behalf. Filled with cedar closet and all manner of baking spices. Roses and even honeysuckle maybe underneath. First taste, even with an hour’s decant, is still very kinetic. Kind of surprisingly fruit forward. Tons of stuff but needs at least 10 years to figure itself out…or does it? I loved how dramatically this kept changing with air in the glass. it pulled itself together marvelously over 5 minute periods, with black tea worked in and by the last sip was drinking darned close to a full La Chappelle. #2 and Sherri and John were swoonful about this.

Another dramatically delightful night, this is the first one where I met all new people. It had better not be the last with this fine group.

Skal

Mike

What a great evening - Allison and I really enjoyed having the opportunity to meet everyone, and also to share great wine. Looking forward to the next time we get together.

And I vote for Mike to set up a business based on his rotation of trips to the great wine regions of the world, that sounds like so much fun!

Sorry I couldn’t make it but look forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Nice notes. BTW, the Hobel is another TRB made wine.

It was so nice to be in a relatively small group at a round table, both in terms of conversation and tasting the wines. I had similar impressions as Mike, except I enjoyed the Hobel cab a lot more - yes, definitely a big wine, but flavors were in my personal wheelhouse and I would be happy to drink this one again.

What a pleasure and an honor to be part of Mike’s 2017 tour. A wonderful reminder of the best part of being in this community of great people who are passionate about wine!

Hard to beat Volnaysien – their coq au vin is something else. And Burg nut though I am, I will admit that I do enjoy some antica terra from time to time! Thanks for the notes. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note on 2010 Paul Jaboulet Petite Chapelle. I purchased a few back then

The Valdicava was just as good last night :slight_smile: Thanks for letting me cart home the leftovers of that!

Mike

I have more Hobel in the cellar, happy to bring some to the next event.

I’m basically a “pinot and chard guy”, but was totally wowed by the wines that folks brought which of course is one of the reasons to go to Wineberserker dinners; 2nd to meeting the people themselves!

We brought the 2014 Walter Scott X Novo Chard and the 2012 Antica Terra Botanica Pinot and was chagrined for not having decanted the Antica Terra ahead of time as it was not all there when it was opened. It had such a weak middle that it would have been hard to identify it as an Antica Terra but after about 20 min, it took on weight and was quite lovely!

Another of the delights was the conversation - this was a WineBerserker event after all! But when is the last time I had a discussion about a film festival, let alone the Toronto Film Festival! Just goes to show.

Sherri’s Brunello was really a revelation to me; David’s Cab was great (and esp if he has more!),as of course was Mike’s Chapelle. As the restaurant is right across from the train station, what a great location for future WineBerseker events!