Some Champagnes and a Franciacorta blind

It was once again time to eat some sushi and cheese and drink a healthy amount of fizz. After mixing in four bottles of Cava last spring it was mutually decided that we should focus on Champagne from now on as that is what we all really want to drink. However I picked one fairly expensive bottle of Franciacorta to get ourselves a nice guessing game. All the other bottles were poured blind indeed except the unanimous WOTN, Princesse des Thunes. Besides the Franciacorta and the Bouché the overall level of the wines was quite high and I will definitely be getting myself some bottles of the top 2 wines.

• 2007 Godmé Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Les Romaines - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (15.10.2017)
    A very dark color compared to the next wine. Absolutely fantastic on the nose with baked apple, marzipan and bread dough - strongly reminiscent of pain perdu and I love it. The mousse is big and creamy and of the sort that really caresses the palate. Concentrated stuff overall with lots of ripe apple and juicy red berries. Mighty vinous, massively hedonistic but with plenty of drive. A really super wine that outperforms its price point. Easily a top 3 Meunier for me.
  • 2004 Bellavista Franciacorta Riserva Vittorio Moretti - Italy, Lombardia, Franciacorta DOCG (15.10.2017)
    Very much unlike Champagne on the nose with odd exotic fruit, fat and very little in terms of developed notes. It is not youthful but shows its age mostly by being a bit tired on the nose. On the palate it has a good structure and energy but suffers badly from a lack of definition and impure fruit. Not a good wine at all.
  • 2005 Paul Goerg Champagne Cuvée Lady - France, Champagne (15.10.2017)
    Expressive and aromatic on the nose with lots of dark fruit, spices, smoke and fat. Nice, although not very defined. The mousse is massive and extremely persistent. Chewy and vinous yet with great lift. Not that complex but tasty as heck. I thought it was a blend as there was nothing on the flavor profile screaming Chardonnay to me.
  • NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru VP - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (15.10.2017)
    Disgorged May 2016 after 82 months on the lees. What an interesting nose on this one. It starts off as meaty, bouillon-like even, but with time becomes more conventional with apricot, marzipan and iodine. The mousse is really dense and vigorous. Likewise the acidity is quite strong, giving the wine an excellent lift and tension. Obviously a super well made, structured wine with a nice mix of autolytic notes and ripe apricot-laden fruit.
  • 2005 Bouché Pere & Fils Champagne Brut Millésimé - France, Champagne (15.10.2017)
    The nose on this is just absolutely ridiculous with way too much butter and oak. It really is exactly like smelling popcorn. A big, dense mousse reveals more of oak and butter and surprisingly nice acidity that however is not nearly enough to save this massive mess of a wine. Ugh.
  • 2008 Godmé Père et Fils Chardonnay Champagne Premier Cru Extra Brut Les Alouettes Saint Bets - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (15.10.2017)
    Lemon, apple and apricot on the very fresh and somewhat primary nose. On the palate very clearly a youthful, bone-dry Blanc de Blancs with powerful acidity, fresh green fruits and Chablis-esque saltiness. A good wine definitely, but at this point should be cellared for 5+ years.
  • NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Cuvée Prestige Princesse des Thunes - France, Champagne (15.10.2017)
    Mis en cave April 2009, disgorged June 2016. Quite citrusy on the nose with notes of cherry, almond, spices, toast and butter (very slight). On the palate quite dry and vigorous yet impeccably balanced and delicious as hell. Remarkably lively with great tension, this is so drinkable we should have had a magnum. A fantastic wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Ikka, thank you for the TNs here. I’ve drank through several bottles of Dethune Princess and have had mixed results. The most recent bottle was the best, but bottles preceding it seemed dosed/richer than I usually like. I also have drank the E-O VP and liked it, but I paired it with a Jacquesson Dizy Rouge 2008, which drank with more class on the night we paired them. I’ve started to buy into the H Godme stuff, but yet to try the more focused cuvees yet so I appreciate your notes here.

Thank you again.

I’m happy you enjoyed them Frank. You mean the Dizy Terres Rouges, correct? It is a superb wine indeed, though a quite different style. If you come across Les Romaines, do not hesitate!

Ikka, yes, the Dizzy Terres Rouge. What a bottle of bubbly that is, for sure. I wish I would have grabbed a couple more when I sourced them. I have one left.

I’ll ask about the Les Romaines.