McManis vs Bogle ??

I am looking for recent opinions on these two worthy, upper-mid-level supermarket wines. Over here I am so very limited, and I can get a good selection of these. Around €10 for McManis, around €14 for Bogle. The idea is two reds and two whites for Thanksgiving. I’ve had wines from both in the past, but it’s been a while. If I could afford it, we’d all get Ridge, but…

Any input?

Thanks!

The McManis Petite Sirah is a good value. Bogle Chenin Blanc, Pinot Noir and Old Vine Zinfandel are all an easy buy on a budget. You can’t go wrong with any of them.

Hi Brian,

Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

Bogle’s Phantom and Marietta’s Old Vine Red are worthy field blends for the dollar.(PS, Zin. etc)

Henry, I’ve had Bogle Merlot several times. It’s smooth and balanced, but IMO totally boring. Also, €14 is about twice what you’d pay in the States ($9 or so). Can’t you get more interesting European wines for that kind of money?

It’s been a while since I’ve tried a bottle, but every McManis red I tried tasted overwhelmingly oaky.

Ooooooohhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeessssssss!

But this is for Thanksgiving.

USA!USA!USA!

McManus. It is an inexpensive well made wine
Bogle is just a cheap wine.

Thank you all -keep 'em coming!

I actually like the Bogle chardonnay - good kitchen glugger while I’m cooking. Don’t buy it that often now, but it works for me. I like the oaky vanilla heavy flavor. The SO can’t stand it though.

And the Bogle petit sirah is solid too, but I’ve not had one in some time.

For supermarket wines, I think the quality is good, and they are the kind of thing I would often round out a six pack with to get a discount at my market.

My expat friends always said that finding a whole turkey when abroad was the hardest part of Thanksgiving.

Whole turkey? But he’s in Germany. Goose is MUCH tastier and easy to get. Just remember, if the Pilgrims had it, they would’ve eaten it. :wink: