psa - vincent paris 2015 cornas

HDH in Chicago has some of Vincent Paris Northern Rhones in stock & on sale. They have lots as well, not just an odd bottle here or there.

2015 Granit 30 Cornas $28
2015 Granit 60 Cornas $36
2015 ‘le Geynale’ Cornas $44

I’m surprised there is price chopping already on a desirable vintage that has hardly even hit the US market yet.

There’s other stuff too but this will clean me up for shipping with them.

anyone try these yet? I haven’t had an awe inspiring experience with Paris yet.

Not sure about the Geynale (i have one bottle that i haven’t tried), and I’m tempted, but the 1998 Riojanas Gran Reserva is a smoking deal. Tends toward an elegant style.

I haven’t had his '15 Cornases, but I thought his '15 St. Joseph Les Côtes was pretty inspiring at $25.

His '04 Granit 60 showed very well in August, though it was still fairly backward.

I tried one Granit 30 and went back for half a case. I really liked it but I don’t drink many northern rhone so maybe not the best judge. I have liked most of the 2015s I have tried and have been buying them from many producers that I don’t normally purchase.

+1

Not a big sample set, but have pretty much liked the few 2015’s I’ve opened so far.

And I tend to like this region much more after they’ve evolved, so if they’re this good already, I’m ok buying some blind.

I figure anything that gets imported to the states is likely in the top tercile e.g. there seem to 150 2015 Cote Rotie bottlings, with only maybe 50 easily found in the US, and those all seem to be the better regarded ones.

So in a good vintage, buying names I don’t know – or more accurately, not in my JLL books – is not a big deal.

+1, and I’m not sure I ever have, hence the reasonable prices.
I had the 2015 Cornas some time back, and it was as awkward as any moment you’ve ever had in your life, total two left feet wine (and no I’m not referencing Mollydooker). Just so backwards, and not in a good way. Juge can be backwards (2011 was CRANKY on release), but I know the wine comes together and has great harmony over time. I had 2007 Paris Geynale (found it dirt cheap) earlier this year, and was fairly straightforward.

A few of my thoughts on Paris Geynale…

I like it, and I like it even more considering its price. Therefore I have bought a bit of Geynale in recent vintages. It shows as more polished than some Cornas (Clape) and leans a bit towards modern without being fully modern in style. I don’t prefer N. Rhone wines that show as obviously modern.

I also buy Clape every year. Is Clape better? Yes, to me it is. But Clape is also about 2X the price.

I buy some Allemand too. Is Allemand better? Yes, to me it is. But Allemand is also about 2X to 3X the price.

Is Paris Geynale a good wine to buy at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of Clape and Allemand? Yes, to me it is…not to the exclusion of those other wines - but as a more affordable addition to the Cornas bottlings in the cellar. I don’t expect awe inspiring performance from a $45-50 wine (and this is for Geynale…Paris’ top cuvee) - but I get more pleasure from Geynale than I normally expect from a wine in this price bracket.

Cheers,
Blair

+1 on Blair’s comments. I buy the same producers. Paris Geynale is maybe something like a hybrid of Clape and Voge but at $50 a bottle. I’ve tried one Paris 2015. It was good but not as good as 2010 or 2012. I think that’s a 2015 thing where everyone will be talking about when they’ll lose their baby fat.’