Short-Shipped 1 Bottle? Or (UPS) Thief?

First and foremost, thoughts go to those dealing with the CA Wine Country fires. That being said, I do have a little situation where I could use some WB’ers thoughts.

In the spring/summer, I purchased 3 bottles of PN from a Sonoma winery (purchased from last year too-received the wine no issue), and requested they hold the shipment for cooler weather (I live in the NYC metro area). I had requested they ship in late October or early November-they shipped it in early October. Normally not a big deal, except no adult would be home to sign for the package. So I had the package rerouted to a local UPS depot (not a UPS retail store). The package was scanned into the depot, but they couldn’t find it for at least 24 hours (turned up a day or 2 later). A supervisor apologized for the mixup, and my wife picked up the package on Tuesday. The shipping label shows 10 pounds, but when I picked up the box it didn’t feel like 10 pounds. It actuality, the box only weighs 7.25 pounds.

In nutshell, there are 2 bottles of wine in the box and I paid for 3. Thoughts on how to proceed? I have contacted the winery via email, and they responded they will look into it. But I’m certainly not going to push it at this time. The winery used Wine Country Shipping; the 2 times I have called nobody has answered the phone-again I don’t want to push it at this time.

I will be going to the UPS depot to pick up a 2 bottle delivery today-let’s hope that box isn’t missing any bottles. I will be speaking to a supervisor there today when I go for the pickup.

Again, everything is relative, but I would like to receive the product for which I paid.

Looking forward to any comments, advice, etc.

does the package look like it was tampered with? ie, opened and re taped?

Ask the shipper if they weigh each parcel after it is sealed, or if they use estimated weight based on bottle count.

P Hickner

No. But there was a UPS internal label across the top . Once I realized the box was light I never should have opened it and gone back to UPS. Problem is maybe the shipper messed up with the weight ? 3 parties involved-who takes the responsibility? And then once I opened the box it’s now 4 and hard to prove what happened .

Will do. IMO you have to weigh the box .

Does not matter. You did not get what you purchased. The shipper is entirely responsible for resolution, since it selected and paid UPS for shipping services.

At this point, the winery really needs to take care of this, not the shipping company. When things calm down a bit up north, I would reach out to them again but I would not worry about it right now. I would have it on record what happened and possibly take a picture but not worried about anything from there. There certainly is a possibility they simply forgot to put a bottle in. Happens all of the time. Good luck and keep us posted.

I hear ya, but the shipping label says 10 pounds. That’s what has me puzzled . If the weight/label correlated with 2 bottles, I totally get it. Short-shipped 1 piece.
But the weight correlates to 3 bottles .

Computer might just spit out the label based on how many bottles are supposed to be shipped, rather than each box getting put on a scale once sealed.

Bingo!!! I called the shipper; they used a 3 bottle shipper/box, and printed out the label associated with a 3 bottle box. If only shipping 2 bottles, they use a 2 bottle shipper/box.

So they will work on getting me my other bottle.

Thanks all. And hope things improve there in terms of the fires.

This happened to me with FedEx but I was the shipper…

Lost 2 bottles out of a case to someone who opened along the way

I’ve had many pitched battles with the Teamsters in my former profession, including police protection. That said, in 10 years of pretty high volume ordering (north of 3,000 bottles) I’ve never had any pilferage. They’re pro’s. (Their union is another matter.)