TNs: H. Lignier 2010 and Bedrock Zin 2012

Hubert Lignier, Bourgogne Rouge, 2010
I find that Hubert Lignier Bourgognes typically reflect the vintage to a high degree. This 2010 is no different. It’s full of finesse and balance, vs. power and extraction. Red-fruited, transparent, succulent with a feral note that intrigues and helps it rise above its “lowly” generic appellation. Light but punchy, it serves as an excellent example of the house style and vintage. Fourrier fans would like this wine.

Bedrock, Zinfandel, Monte Rosso Vineyard, 2012
I really wanted to love this wine – fantastic site, fantastic producer. But ultimately, at 15% ABV it was just a bit too rich for me. Not in an oaky, hot way – just a tad sweet for me. It’s not raisiny or fumey but the finish on the wine isn’t refreshing to me. The texture is elegant and restrained, and it looks great in the glass. There’s full brambly fruit and a touch of pepper at first, but the wine ends on a slightly cloying note. For sure, this is a complex and well-made wine. It just may not be my style. Glad to have had one glass but didn’t really crave another …

Thanks for the notes, Matt. I haven’t had Lignier’s basic BR, but the '09 Grand Chaliot I had earlier this year was excellent. Pricier, but worth it IMO.