TNs--Mike on Tour--Oct 11--Red Burg (and white burg, Austrian, Champers, Sauternes) in DC

The gathering of some of the DC clan was another memorable night of fun, animated conversation and mostly great wine (we had one corked bottle and one atypical bottle). Thanks once again to David Ehrlich for doing the lion’s share of organizing

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

David Ehrlich
Nick Christie
Maureen Nelson
Peter Lowet
Paul Marquardt
Chris Bublitz
Ken Brown
Yon Keen Keyboard-tapper

I was especially happy to reconnect with Maureen, who I haven’t seen in 6 years.

THE WINES

2005 Dom Perignon

The group discussed the vintage and other vintages at length. Quite fresh with bosc pear mixed into crisp apple. Smooth undertone and snap at start, but missing some thrust in the middle. Solid but not spectacular.

2005 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne

Peter (I think) commented how he could discern in a wine like this that it was a BdB. For me, nice straw and baked bread scents. And on the tongue, it’s long and delicious for the vintage. Lovely tart apple, ginger, salted cracker and a fine match with the opening caviar course as well. Very enjoyable

2002 F.X. Pichler M Riesling Grrr! Corked. We are all diminished, this has been a fascinating wine in the past

2012 F.X. Pichler Durnsteiner Kellerberg Riesling

Sideline of smoky and minerals here on the nose. When it hits the palate…whoa horsey! Is that ever intense! Really racing and layered apple here…gives one’s head a shiver-shake. This will need a long, long time to settle down though quality components are there. 13.5% alc, BTW

2012 Prager Wachstum Bodenstein Riesling

I brought this. Very polished already. Plenty of florals, some lemon and plenty of stoniness in bouquet. So lithe, so much hidden strength here, so crystal-clear. So Prager. Yum-plus. And it holds and just solidifies itself over the course of the whole night. I saved a little bit off to try today. Probably my #2 tonight. I love this stuff.

2008 Louis Jadot Meursault Perrieres

Brought this as well. While I like the initial sniffs of butter, sweet nuts and fine pear, the palate is another story. I don’t think it’s flawed, but it’s not Perrieres either–kinda clumsy. It has flavor but still plenty of oak and no real fineness of character or conversational ability. This may be the last Jadot white I purchase.

2009 Francois Mikulski Meursault Charmes

Not bad at all in the nuzzie–some hints of tropical fruit around a composed bouquet. This is, for me, a really typical and solid 09–just that bit bigger and fatness to it, with an herbal thread through the apple and pear with some lingering hazelnut paste at the back. All with a trace of elevated sweetness. Enjoyable.

1996 Robert Chevillon NSG Les Vaucrains

This mini-flight was much fun as the debate raged over which was the better wine. This starts off still tight in the glass, but there is a lot of stuff underneath. Gradually, black strawberry, some chestnut and earth tones pop up. Still rugged dans la bouche, but very complete and deep. 10 years more will give best to this wine, still a lot of potential, and the last taste, 2.5 hours later, is the best and really special with baking spices and fruit claiming more space. Will it be better than the 02 Chaignots? That was the debate. #4 for me.

2002 Robert Chevillon NSG Les Chaignots

So NSG is still one of the few communes I don’t readily grok. That said, I have now identified that I do love Chaignots as a plot. This was really, really nice. Cherry and berry and dashes of cinnamon elevate the aroma. And ooohhh, that is one pretty drink. Replays and very, very expressive. Best thing I can say? it’s nothing other than Burgundy, and magic Burgundy at that—the luminosity and shine that you want the wine to achieve. Right on the mark right now, balancing freshness, flavour and depth and WOTN

2001 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis

All manner of forest floor, plum and cherry waft up the glass. Light accents of cocoa and baking spices. There’s a reason I adore this vintage and it’s right here. This has a sublime blend of length, acid, potential and black fruit and will keep delivering enjoyment for another 30 years at least. Tremendous wine, my #3 and probably should swap ratings with the Prager.

2002 Jacky Truchot MSD Les Blanchards

Here, more red fruit seems upfront to me on the aromatics, perhaps with some floral intermix. To taste, lots of stuff here, but have to admit (and I’m sure it’s influenced by coming last in this flight) it shows burly and foursquare to me. I do think some more time will help and I know Paul came back to this later in the night, will be interested in his thoughts and Maureen’s, who’s had plenty of Truchot. Good, but a step below the others here.

1988 Chateau Suduiraut Sauternes

Expressive nose of citrus, apricot, pineapple and vanilla. Smooth, silky, long and fine, showing the 88 balance. The botrytis is in a perfect spot. Quite a different showing from my own full last year which remained very angular and strict. Very pretty, #5 tonight?

1975 Chateau Suduiraut Sauternes

Rather idiosyncratic with all manner of dried middle-eastern fruit, quince and some nuts. Palate is equally distinctive, with a certain tartness (almost lemon rind background?) to the sweet fruit that is different and put me in mind of a Tokaji a little. It is still good and blue cheese accents it wonderfully.

A bientot, as always a really great evening.

Mike

Jacky Truchot does not make a Clos St. Denis. Was it the Clos de la Roche or a Morey St. Denis of some kind?

Look forward to seeing you tonight.

Thanks Mike - great notes and great to reconnect.

Truchot was MSD Blanchards. Perhaps influenced by being decanted in the morning but I agree it was dumb.

Thanks for the notes Mike. I will gladly wrangle for you anytime and now consider myself a regular for your tour as this is now my second.

As we discussed last evening, the '02 Chevillon was my favorite wine to drink last night. It was just open, forward, lovely, and glugable. I prefer to drink my wine rather than debate it’s potential. I don’t fancy myself to be a wine fortune teller so I have no idea what the '96 Chevillon Vaucrains or '01 Dujac CSD will or won’t show over time. That being said, there is likely great potential there.

For my taste, I preferred the Pichler to the Prager. While all good, none of the other wines were contenders for WOTN as they lacked either pedigree or were vintage challenged. Although, I now know the Taittinger Comtes is a good bet in any vintage and very well could be the wine of the vintage in Champagne in '05.

Another stellar night on the tour Mike. Some mighty fine wines in the lineup. Thanks for the succinct and informative notes.

Great night, Mike! Wish I could have been there!

Whoops–sorry about the misnomer on the Truchot–corrected.

Totally concur. One can go back to the 95 which drank so well out of the gate, it our shined most others in that vintage as well as the 96 CdC and a few other 96 stars until they caught up; Im referring to Krug, Salon, Dom and Cristal.

The 02 the next afternoon was dazzling–typing the notes this morning…

Very nice Mike. Nice group of wines. DC folks are great.

quite sad i was out of town for this