TN: 2014 Domaine Henri Boillot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Mouchère

• 2014 Domaine Henri Boillot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Mouchère - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (10/11/2017)
    Killer nose showing citrusy spice, flint, smoky minerals and a sweet note that could be marzipan. The palate shows a bitter lemon rind element with lots of dry extract and acidity but sappy with a lovely texture that compensates for and balances the acid. Young compelling juice that will reward cellaring but can be enjoyed today. This monopole consistently delivers grand cru quality wine at a reasonable 1er cru price.(93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
A9951E27-B76E-418E-BEA0-FFBB7BD0971B.jpeg

Hi Larry,

Love the wine, and thanks for the note!

But I would not say “village prices” - even on futures this wine is running $85-$100…that is well into 1er Cru territory for some other excellent producers.

Cheers,
Blair

+1, I buy this wine and love it, but I never see it as a bargain

Thanks for the reply but I’m surprised you guys don’t see this wine as a bargain. What 1er cru wines do buy for $85-$90 that you prefer over this wine?

Thank you for a timely reminder. Time to put in the futures orders for 2016.

Larry - thanks for the note; I have half a case of this stashed away in the hope it will escape the dreaded pox.

That said, I’m with Marcus and Blair: the price puts this squarely in line with premier crus from Jacques Carillon, Bouchard (MP, for example), JM Pillot, some PYCM, Paul Pillot…even Ramonet (Vergers, Morgeot). I don’t think the Boillot wine is overpriced (although the year-over-year climb is starting to hurt), but it’s not a screaming deal, either.

Personally, I’m a fan of Marc Morey’s CM 1er cru En Virondot, which can be found for about the same as Jacques Carillon’s village PM: around $65.

By the way, if you haven’t seen it, this thread is a useful discussion of various WB producers: White Burgundy Second Stringers? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

It depends on what wines we are comparing against, if you look at village wines from Leflaive, Ente, Roulot, Lafon and Coche then $85 is a bargain. But I agree that $85 is in the range of solid PCs, so how does delivers GC performance at 1er cru prices sound?

Yup, with you all the way

Thanks for the note. This has been staring at me for a while. I may pop one soon.

Perfect!!! [welldone.gif]

Cheers,
Blair

an annual purchase. Looking at ‘16 now.

I requested a case of the 16 at $85 per. I suspect My allocation will get cut back as yields were low.

I’ve become a fan of this cuvée and just got my 2016 allocation confirmed… but no possibility to increase this year, volumes are quite strict!

From the whites I tasted in barrel at other domains, the 2016 seems at least as good if not better than 2014… Buy buy buy strategy :slight_smile:

Great notes, how long would you recommend aging this?

I love the domaine’s 2014s. So much so that I recently picked up two cases of the Corton Charlemagne and one case of the Criots Batard Montrachet.

Good choice. 14s in white burgundy have been incredible!

I love this cuvee, one of the best 1er Crus around $100. For my palate, the 14 is one of the best white Burgundy vintages at least for the past decade, i.e. the precision, purity, freshness and energy of the 08 but more opulent and concentrated fruit. Also great from the top to the bottom, it seems.

The 14 has enough acid that it should be fine for 7-10 years and benefit from some age. That said, there have been reports of pre-mox on earlier vintages so it’s not a wine to tuck away in the cellar for 15 years like you might do with Coche or Raveneau. And it really is drinking well young, so there’s no harm in opening one early.

Now I KNOW that I need to get back East more often! flirtysmile

Cheers!
Marshall grouphug

Agree with all above. A yearly purchase for me and never disappointed. Just put in a request for 2016 without hesitation.