TN: 2015 Chateau Lanessan, Haut- Medoc, and the arrival of Hubert de Bouard

Total Wine had these early releases out for $25.99. A long-time favorite of mine, had to grab a couple to try, notwithstanding my concern over this vintage being taken over by Hubert de Bouard. It hit me that I had not bought this wine since loading up big on 2010 and 2009, including mags. Gotta go grab some 2014 after Buecker’s fine note from some months ago.

Well, I really cannot see the heavy hand of Bouard in this wine. It remains medium-bodied. The alcohol is well in check and no overt presence of new oak. Remains unpolished. Has a balance of crisp red fruits and some soft dark fruits. Overall the acid seems a bit lower than normal, but that could just as easily be explained by the vintage (but, I found 2009 to be relatively high in acid and red fruits, lovely wine). Still pretty primary and a bit disjointed, lacking much mid-palate too, but in truth, the most notable point is just that it is uninteresting. I’ve been following it for over two days, and it’s a pretty basic table wine so far. I’m more than happy to circle back here in a few months to see if a little time in the bottle offers some resolution. While Lanessan always needs some time, it generally shows me more charm in its youth than what I have in front of me.

Right now, (84 pts.?)

Thanks Robert. I picked up some 14s but was hesitant about 2015. Appreciate the datapoint.

Very useful data point. The 2015 would be, on first principles, a very tempting vintage to secure of Lanessan.

Really, this makes me think my solid case of the 09 isn’t enough, but the price in that vintage has gone up a lot since release (by the standards of the Chateau).

Pat, Total Wine has mags of 09 and 10. I grabbed some a couple weeks ago for like $45 each with the 20% coupon.

That’s a great price for the mags! I paid 38 and 43 respectively for 09 & 10 in release.

First the positive note on the Rolland Figeac, and now this? It’s like I don’t even know who you are these days

LOL, but I did follow up the backhanded compliment with a score that is practically failing in this marketplace! I mean really, who here drink, eats or hires a low “B”!? :slight_smile:

I stopped in at Yankee Spirits on the spur of the moment as I was passing thru Sturbridge and the '14 Lanessan was really all that jumped out at me.
I took 2 @ $19.99 ea. after quickly looking on CT and reading Dave’s note.

Was this $25.99 for a 750ml? I paid $15 per 750ml for 2015 futures.

I am also really surprised they have this wine so soon. Futures delivery isn’t event expected until April 2018 up my way. I wonder if the wine is just not at all ready to be opened.

Yes on the first question. A bit high considering the price of the 2009 and 2010 mags. You got a deal on the 15s!

I had a hard time assessing this wine, and yes, I hope it’s just not ready, which I think I sorta suggest as a possibility. I recall 09 being super good right out of the box, while 10 clearly needed time but at least showed better materials.

The '15 is still for sale for $15 from where I bought my futures. $33 for mags. Futures.

Really, I think you got hosed on your price, not that I got some screaming deal.

I would be remiss not to admit that this wine is significantly better on the third night. It’s actually displaying a traditional Bordeaux funk on the nose, with more dark fruits there and on the palate, and is better integrated. Gives me more optimism about that second bottle I grabbed on a whim.

Good to hear. I have some of the 2015 and 2016 coming. Liked the '14 when I opened one the other night.

Bought my mags for $30 with delivery. You paid a king’s ransom!

I didn’t buy mags! :wink:

We’re all winners!!!

All this talk of Lanessan got me searching, K&L has a bunch of 99s for 19.99…

I have been asking this question myself. Here in France we just had the annual fall ‘Foire aux vins’ where supermarkets do loads of deals, especially on Bordeaux. So I was a bit surprised to see quite a few cru bourgeois releases of 2015, think Citran, Caronne St Gemme, Agassac and the like. Likewise last fall there were 2014s of these wines on the shelf, but I only got my futures for 14 in May this year and won’t get 15s till next spring.

The answer seems to be that many of these haut médoc CBs only do a 12 month élevage and so are ready to sell now, while many of the cru classé may do 18-24 months in oak and/or don’t want to ship in end summer so the releases are delayed to vintage +2 yrs. I think then the whole futures system holds all wines bought in futures to deliver in one go, regardless of when some individual wines may already be in certain retail outlets…

If you like leaner, old school claret, grab it. I would.

OK, I know I’m going to be sorry I asked, but what on earth is the heavy hand of de Bouard? I taste about 50 wines he works with every year, and I have no idea what that means…

FWIW, I really liked the 2016… and the winemaker was quite charming :slight_smile: