TN: 2014 Turley Napa cab

Enjoying this on a Friday. Dark purple, full bodied consistency.

Nose - red and blue fruit, some dust, oak, some alcohol, sage and rosemary, maybe a hint of dairy.

Taste - blue and red fruit. Strawberry jam, tiny hint of smoke. Oak spices, some herbs. Some acid and tannins but very drinkable now.

Good wine and a fair value for Napa cab. Not a lot of structure to my taste but very tasty.

Did not know they made one. Any idea of the vineyard they use?

from a quick look at their website
looks like a combo of dragon, montecillo, and estate cab

My experience with these hasn’t been so positive. I thought it was very sweet and tannic. The '13 I thought was much better.

I didn’t get tannin. It was pretty mellow. Sweet maybe now that I think about it and that is where my head was when I said not too much structure.

I tried the initial, then the next year. Tasted like blueberry syrup to me.

Yeah, I wasn’t a huge fan either. I enjoy ‘bigger’ wines…but to me this was hot and pretty disjointed. Probably would have had a hard time clocking it as a cab blind.

Glad i tried it…but I’ll be sticking to their zins moving.

Yeah I bought because I like their Zins and for Napa cab it was reasonably priced. I’m not a repeat buyer of this.

Thanks for the tasting note! :slight_smile:

I have not tasted the Turley Cabernet wines.

Looking at the three fruit sources, the flavor profile hardly seems to exhibit traits of mountain fruit. I think that the Estate is in the north end of Napa Valley, but Howell Mountain and Moon Mountain should leave an indelible mark in this wine’s structure, no?

Wouldn’t that depend on how it was crushed, fermented, blended (don’t recall if it was 100% cab) and aged?

Definitely. I am just wondering…