Modern Bordeaux for my Caymus Friends

As I’m relatively inexperienced with Bordeaux, I’m wondering if there are any recent vintages in a more modern style that might appeal to the “smooth cabernet” crowd. We entertain and have friends that enjoy modern cabernet (think Caymus). We have typically kept those style cabs in stock, but with rising prices and some good deals I’m seeing on recent vintage Bdx, I’m wondering if our purple drank swilling friends might enjoy something different. TIA!

On this board, from what I have seen, there are no
(modern) Caymus friends .

Haha, so true, but I figured this crowd could easily point me to what they don’t like! I should have searched first - found a “Modern Bordeaux” thread from this past July that I think will provide what I need.

Maybe a very ripe vintage from the Rhone would be better than Bordeaux.

Actually, any of the modern St. Ems would be perfect (and trust me, I hate then as much as I hate Caymus, and for the same reason). Troplong Mondotte would be tops there. Anything Rolland touches, really.

You had some good suggestions from your response to a thread this past summer…Mathilde, Gloria, etc. Thanks!

2009 Canon La Gaffeliere. Not cheap but significantly cheaper than Caymus SS

Fleur Cardinale

I’m thinking most 2009s will be right up their alley. I’ll second Marcus’ recommendation.

Just give them 2014 Lilian Ladouys. Easy work.

Lynch-Bages. It has always been on the bright and rugged side for a Bordeaux (and one I used to love.) Now with the spoofiness I think it would fit in quite well with the Caymus type of CA Cabs.

I have two Fleur Cardinale’s 2012 that I haven’t tried yet.

Now I’m feeling deflated.
:wink:

Actually not.
I’m not a Caymus fan either as I went to a Caymus webcast 2 years ago and got 2 2013’s
Went again last year and got none.

But!!!

I did, 2 years ago grab a couple of 40th Anniversary Caymus’s from a wine store.
Been in my wine fridge at 56 degrees for 2 years.
Now I see the price for them is approaching 200$

I absolutely will not drink these and will be selling them at some point.
LOL

The 2013’s I have…ahhhhhh maybe I’ll have one of those at some point.

I do love the world of Wine.

Château Monbousquet, St Emilion

Two value modern style Bordeaux that I really like (and I like big Napa cabs): Tour Saint Christophe (Right Bank) and Meyney (Left Bank). Both around $25.

As others have suggested, try the new wave St Emilions, made by the de rigeur consultants.

Barde Haute is a popular one, and its also a hit with traditionalists on the BWE board. And not as $$ as Canon la Gaffeliere either. I’m not sure vintage will matter much with this estate nowadays.

Monbousquet is in the same mold too, but I’ve not had recent examples, after prices went up.

Fleur de Bouard might be another to find as well.

Good suggestion on Barde Haut, but I’d say some of those guys on the BWE board (including the Maximum Leader) are less traditionalist in practice than they are in theory…always found the BH a bit chocolatey and spoofy.

Re Meyney – another good suggestion. The 2009 Meyney is still available under $50 and is most definitely in that “smooth cabernet” style, probably more so than any other St Estephe I’ve ever had. Good wine if you’re looking for something California-esque while still being recognizably Cab. 2009 might be the most Napa vintage ever in Bordeaux.

In general there are plenty of $25-50 Bdx these days that fit the bill style wise but I suggested the CLG above in case you were going for that super premium luxury feel as well.

Agreed. Surprises me how ga-ga Jim is over the BH, when just about 5 years ago he was railing on modern Bdx. Not a fan at all, or of its sister property, Haut Bergey. While I don’t like them, I also don’t think they quite hit the spoof level of Caymus. Nor does 2009 Meyney, which has definitely gone to the dark side. Meyney is a wine I would serve a friend that likes normal Cabs.

We gotta go big here boys, it’s Caymus after all!

The biggest Frankenmonster Bordeaux that I can think of is Bellevue Mondotte. OMG a 2003 was like a stick of liquor chocolate wrapped in oak tissue, I wonder what a 2009 is like! Perhaps a 2003 Pavie works. There have been recent vintages of Troplong that bust 15%, wasn’t there one vintage that was closer to 16?

Mathilde is an easy dinner party wine, it works. And its cheap, say $25.

I would not call Gloria modern, but in a ripe vintage like 2009, it may fit the bill. It nowhere approximates the richness of Caymus.

I really think Fleur Cardinale is there and in the right price point.
Arv mentioned Fleur de Buouard, same thing.
Monbousquet, I just don’t feel like the terroir suffices to produce anything here.

Some other thoughts:

Larcis Ducasse
Vieille Cure
Lucia
Pavie Macquin
Haut Bergey

And here is a little ringer that might appeal to both camps:

2014 Les Carmes Haut Brion
And the 2012 model is surprisingly more rich.

Forgot to note that both recs are for the 2014 vintage.