Who’s the REDDEST of red fruit Burgundy?

LOVE me some red fruited Burgundy…the brighter and redder the better! Chambolle is a usual address for red, and I consider Bertheau as the gatekeeper. Hudelot Noellat, Rousseau, and Fourrier are other red heads.
What are the brightest of red fruited wines produced in Burgundy? And bonus question…what was the oldest Burg you’ve had that showed an amazing brightness of red fruit???

:wink:

Bertheau for me.

As for the oldest, the first Gerard Mugneret wine I had was a 1985 NSG Chaignots that was a beautiful color and full of red fruit. I would have guessed it as 15 years younger.

Jouan

[popcorn.gif] Love me some bright red fruit

Depends a lot also on the vintage…some '93’s can be quite red, the '93 Rousseau Chambertin we had a while back certainly was!

De Villaine Mercurey.

funny that all of you were naming producers and vintages. I was thinking of vineyard.

I’m certainly no expert, but Clos St.-Denis was the first vineyard that came to my mind.

I agree with Clos St. Denis- especially with Jadot. Some Volnay vineyards too- notably Champans. Pernand-Vergelesses is another one, which often has strawberry notes. But I think it can be producer driven to some degree as well within a given vineyard.

As for the oldest great red burgundy I have had that was heavily red fruit driven and also had a lot of brightness (vibrant is my word there), that would probably have to be 1959 DRC Grands Echezeaux- and it has time in hand. That is certainly the most “red” wine in the DRC lineup in most vintages in my opinion. Brian- I think there your question might be more vintage driven when it comes to “brightness” which I somewhat synonymize with “vibrant”. 1959 is a rare sort of vintage that has kept that youthful vigor about it even at full maturity.

Gotta go with Fourrier and Bertheau also but add Mugneret Gibourg.

Off the top of my head:

Barthod
Chezeaux
Chandon de Briailles
Rollin
Guillemot
Ramonet
Cherisey
Jean-Marc Morey
Prudhon

Good thread, Buzz.

I’m going with Chambolle, and Santenay. Personally, I think Fourrier is an odd choice. They are typically riper and more extracted than most, tending toward darker black cherry fruit, but I know they are a darling.

i would never say Fourrier is darker black cherry fruit. I think it’s incredibly bright crunchy red fruit.

Obviously depends on the wine, and vintage. But you would be wrong neener

Seriously, as a mostly Gevrey producer, the profile should be darker.

I’m with Charlie. Fourrier is not dark fruited Burgundy.

Per my TNs, bright red fruit, if black perhaps blackberry which is not too far from raspberry in brightness.

Stick to Rhone alan ;p

I personally find blackberry to have an equally bright, but much darker presence than raspberry.

I think a lot of what are you guys are really singling out is producers making wines with higher acidity b

Excellent point and I agree. I find Fourrier wines to be very bright and pure yet also generous in fruit expression.