Advice on Ridge Monte Bello

I’ve loved Ridge’s zins and Estate Cabernet Sauvignon bottling but have yet to try the famous Monte Bello. I’ve read plenty about it in articles and through this message board and have been very interested in trying it. I understand it takes some solid aging to get the most out of each bottle, so I won’t be able to enjoy the futures that I finally succumbed to purchasing for a number of years. However, I was able to get a hold of 1998 Monte Bello. I believe that the 1998 isn’t the strongest of vintages, however, for those that are familiar with it, care to share some thoughts? How is it training at the moment? Should I hold off still and wait to consume it? Was this a bad buy? Any thoughts and advice is much appreciated!

Benny, you’re right that 98 was a somewhat cooler “weaker” vintage. I don’t think I’ve had the 98 in the past decade, so can’t give you any first hand experience. I’d look at CellarTracker and see what people are saying there. But at almost 20 years old, I think you would be pretty safe opening your bottle. “Off” vintages can often be much better than expected, particularly with Ridge.

I can’t speak to that specific vintage, but some others that I’ve had around that time ('95, '96) have been very nice. I think it should give you at least an idea of what it’s like as it ages.

Just buy it.

I think he already did.

Just drink it. :slight_smile:

Yup! Already purchased and looking forward to drinking it soon with my dad on his 75th birthday in a couple weeks. Thanks all for the thoughts!

'98 is one of the worst vintages of MB ever. It started out hollow, light, awkward. It’s really come around and drinking great right now.